Why is modern pop music today so terrible?

don_c55

It wasn’t you or any of your posts I was quoting, Bill (whart). See a few posts above for the specific reference to the Brill Building by another contributor.

The claim that the period between the disappearance of Elvis and the appearance of The Beatles was devoid of good music was started in the late 60’s by Jann Wenner in his Rolling Stone Magazine, and is complete and utter bs. While pure 50’s Rock ’n’ Roll did go out of style after Elvis was drafted, Buddy Holly was killed in a plane crash, Jerry Lee Lewis was blackballed, Little Richard found God, and Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins turned Country (all of which the major label record company and music publishing men were delighted to see happen---they had lost control of the business when the small independent labels---who owned most of the popular Rock ’n’ Roll artists---started getting all the record sales), and Fabian, Pat Boone, and Bobby Rydell-type singers (whom the record companies could control, unlike the above Rock ’n’ Rollers) were being pushed by the likes of Dick Clark, there was still a lot of great music being made in the years 1958 to 1962.

Do I really have to remind us all of The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison, The Beach Boys, Paul Revere & The Raiders (very under-rated, a great band), The Ventures (and all the other surf bands and guitarists), Booker T & The MG’s, Del Shannon (whose comeback album in the 80’s was produced by Tom Petty), Chuck Berry (his recordings continued to be released even as he faced his upcoming trial and eventual incarceration), as well as a lot of great urban Pop music by Phil Spector (loved by John Lennon and, especially, Brian Wilson), The Drifters, The Shirelles, The Four Seasons, Patti LaBelle, Darlene Love, Clyde McPhatter, and many, many others?

Remind yourself of the kind of music that was hugely popular in the early 60’s by spinning "On Broadway" by The Drifters. The song, an absolute masterpiece, was written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil while sitting at a piano in a cubicle in.....the Brill Building. Nick Lowe has recorded a great version of "Halfway To Paradise", a killer song from the early 60’s, written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin while sitting at a piano in a cubicle in.....the Brill Building. The version of the song that gives me an out-of-body experience was recorded by Laurel Aitken. As good as Pop gets!

A lot of the music of this period was recorded and intended for radio airplay, and was released on 7" 45 RPM singles. It’s target audience was teenagers, most of whom owned not a single LP (or 78 ;-). Budding musicians and hardcore music fanatics (guilty) were the only teenagers buying LP’s, and then mostly of The Beach Boys and Surf groups/bands. One demographic buying a lot of LP’s were the teenager’s college-attending older brothers and sisters, who were being courted by the post-Beatnik Folk artists, one of whom---from Hibbing Minnesota---became probably the most influential songwriter (for better or worse) of the second half of the 20th Century. One thing that DID drastically change with the British Invasion was the meteoritic rise of the 12" LP format. The challenge for artists then became how to get enough material (good songs) to fill an entire disc. That challenge remains unsuccessfully answered by most artists (and entertainers) to this day!

@bdp24 - Yeah, I realized that later, when i saw that someone else had used "dreck" as a term of art. Hell, I’ll listen to stupid stuff too sometimes: I dig that song by the Spiral Starecase, I dig some Crystal Gayle, but at the same time I may switch to Starker playing Kodaly or Krokodil’s "An Invisible World Revealed." Taste is a funny thing. I can listen to a song or two from Gnarls Barkley or Ludacris/Outkast, but a steady diet of that would probably leave me undernourished. Everybody has their guilty pleasures- mine, for the last few years, has been lost bands and albums from Europe in the late ’60s and early ’70s. (Blast Furnace-s/t is a current favorite).
Yeah, there’s a lot of crap all over the place. Food, music, name your poison. That may be someone else’s joy, though, so I’m not too harsh about what I consider shitty music, I just don’t listen to it.
One thing I will say: we all get into our trenches and stay there. I have had certain limits over the years with free-form jazz and I’m now beginning to appreciate some angles of it. Part of it is purely ignorance on my part too.
Now that I’m in Austin, I see and hear talent ever day-- these people can’t really make a living at it, but they do it anyway. Who knows in that great lottery of popular culture where the wheel next stops? A ’bad’ era can begat another renaissance. Call me an eternal optimist. 
I did miss the opportunity to hear The Village People at a club some friends own, but I would have gone purely for the experience of it, not because I was ever a fan. Crimson on the other hand,....
And, one man’s treasure is another man’s trash. That’s fine with me, I’ve long been out-of-step with many of the musicians I’ve associated with. I couldn’t get the hippies in my 1971 band to listen to my Smiley Smile or Shirelles Greatest Hits albums, or the guitarist in my 1990’s Surf/Instro/Rockabilly/Blues band to my ABBA albums, but I accept that. What I don’t accept is calling the great songs that came out of the Brill Building dreck---they’re fantastic. Brian Wilson---the best songwriter Rock ’n’ Roll has produced (fact, not conjecture ;-)---shares that opinion with me!
bdp24, have you heard the tribute to Doc Pomus CD (I think it's called Save the Last Dance for Me)?  It's got Dylan, Los Lobos, Shawn Colvin, Dr. John, Brian Wilson, B.B. King, Lou Reed and others.  Pretty fine, IMO.