Why is it so good?

Hi All, I just finally getting around to hooking my iMac computer up to my McIntosh amp. I have about 24000 songs on it, most of them in Apple lossless. I know there are better formats. I also know iTunes is not great for playback. However, it sounds incredible. Much better than all my Turntables and CDPs. 
Maybe this is because the tone is adjustable on the playback on computer? Or maybe the DAC on the Mc is really good? Sounds much better than SACDs even.

After having been reborn as a vinyl junkie 10 years ago I am really wondering if I need to rethink things, within the confines of my components and ears. 
Your thoughts are appreciated!
astorey

Showing 1 response by heaudio123

Apple lossless, wave, FLAC, it's all the same. If you ripped without loss, then you have digital versions of your CDs, and the playback will be similar.

DACs on MACs have always been pretty tolerable.

Or maybe you got your preconception out of the way and just listened to the music without assuming it would be bad  (like some comments above).  Digital tone controls don't add noise or distortion, so that could be at play, or maybe you have an ambience setting on that you really like ?

"Maybe this is because the tone is adjustable on the playback on computer? Or maybe the DAC on the Mc is really good? Sounds much better than SACDs even."