Why I'm not adding a sub to my 2-way monitors for music

I've updated my blog post with more data, more analysis and the conclusion that in my particular case I do not need a subwoofer.  I encourage everyone who is on the fence about adding a subwoofer or not to read and comment.  I think that either way you'll be able to make more informed buying and configuration choices.

Everyone's situation is different but I hope the post helps you get to the right conclusions.

erik_squires

I sold my 2 SVS subs a couple weeks ago. Mostly a net gain, as they are designed for home theater, not hi-end audio. Shortly after I reinserted my Marantz HD CD-1 as a transport, instead of using my Oppo 105 digital out into my Audio Alchemy DDP-1 + PS 5. The 105s main function is SACD playback.

The HD CD 1 was a huge upgrade, but quickly developed an issue in the magnetic clamp. The entire mechanism is $150 + shipping, and I felt it was time to get a dedicated transport. My research and budget led me to a slightly used Audiolab CDT 6000 (MSRP $650ish). It arrived this morning, and stone cold made my chin drop. The music has so much more body top to bottom, but most notable in the lower mids and bass. Im not missing the subs one bit

hth

With stand mounted speakers it’s critical you have the correct height for your speaker and that’s the foundation of the music that most monitors need , some call it bass which I think it goes beyond that into more reenforced energy and filling up the room and in my room I have cut my Dynaudio stand six down from 25 in to 19 in the front and 18 3/4 in the back allowing the 8 in mid/woofer in my Dynaudio S25 speakers to due just that “ of course your soundstage will become infinite and imaging will snap. With this set up you play with the rake.

I don’t have subs currently but I’d love a pair or more someday, do I feel the need , no.

Some of us may be spoiled, lucky or otherwise gifted (through long, tedious hours of experimentation) with a subwoofer pairing that has ended up very successful. Going on to make more general statements as to their making wonders in other constellations mayn't be prudent, given that quite a few factors could as well lead to the opposite scenario. Claims are no doubt made about DBA setups being very generally worthwhile additions, and they may be so in certain respects not least including frequency response, but that hardly makes them an all-encompassing win in my book - certainly where asymmetrically placed, mono-coupled implementations are concerned. I guess I'm old schooled in that regard - if there is such a thing if only to attain specific traits and ultimate coherency in audio reproduction - maintaining the importance of a high-ish crossover to the mains (that should be high-passed) which further dictates symmetry-and-close-to-the-mains placement and stereo coupling of a pair of subs. Oh, and not least: big, efficient and preferably horn-loaded sub iterations are a must, to my ears, all of which should more easily pave the way for a successful outcome. High-passing the mains I might add would be best achieved running the whole speaker set-up actively, so that any alterations will be done pre-amplification, on signal level and without further interference of a passive crossover. Make of it what you will, but that's the context through which I find subwoofers are implemented most naturally as a seamless part of a whole.  

@tweak1 and @phusis both bring up very good points.  Yes, with infinite time, money and the forbearance of our loved one's integrating subs is possible.  For some it's mythical, and for some a no brainer to add.

I actually am sad more listeners who go through the trouble to buy subs don't love them, but it's a risky business and if you are not well versed in the use of equalizers and speaker matching you may be overcome by the expense, complexity or technology before your Valhalla is prepared. 

A quick update on my experience with SVS Micro 300 and Harbeth m30.1.

A beautiful pairing. Like they’re made for each other. The sub simply fills in the bottom range of most music. The SVS phone app makes all the difference; I would not consider a sub without a remote app now. I find myself changing volume by recording; the sub extends the range if there’s anything "down there". Could be subtle or dramatic - my choice based upon recording. But the extension is always appreciated. Makes the Harbeths into a full range setup. The app gives me almost real time control of volume, low pass filter, and other settings.

The sub itself seems fast and I notice no timing issues. Integration was not brain surgery either. Just not hard with the app and some basic knowledge.

If you’re on the fence, just do it. My guess is you’ll be very happy.