Why HiFi manufacturers don't make active crossovers anymore?

Hello to all,

On the recent days, I noticed that a lot of manufacturers of Hifi 2 channel systems, had plenty of options in a not so long past, of active crossovers, like Luxman, Accuphase, higher end Sony stuff, and many more, why do you think HiFi manufacturers abandoned the inclusion of active cross overs, channel dividers, in their lineup?

Accuphase still makes a digital one.

Appears that this devices are only still relevant in the Pro Audio world, why Home HifI abandoned the active cross over route? It's correct to assume that?

I think that can be very interesting tri-amp a three way loudspeakers with active cross overs, would like to know more about it too...

Share your thoughts about the subject, experiences in bi-amp and tri-amp with active crossovers and etc....

Thanks!
128x128cosmicjazz
I think the ideal way to do active would be using the built in DSP and crossover function built into server software like JRiver.

It would require multiple or multi channel DAC, but it seems the least destructive method since no additional DA or AD conversions would be needed.

Has anyone experimented with this method?

I have dreamed of modding my TAD CR1's to work with an active crossover,  but I would not want to risk damaging such an exotic driver.

The other issue is I would want not to use amps of a lesser quality than my BHK 300's (with their tube input stage) and could not afford another 2 or 4 channels of BHK.  I have read about people trading their Pass amps for BHK 300's (perhaps because of the tubes)   Maybe a pair or 3 of the stereo BHK 250 would work.  They are doing a more powerful version, unfortunately not a lower power version for multi ways which would be ideal.  

Would like to know more active analog crossovers similar to this ones, in specs, and layout functionality, anyone have more recommendations?

No DSP please.

Fostex EN-3000

https://audio-heritage.jp/FOSTEX/etc/en3000.html

Pictures: https://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/17-11127-51780-00.html?LNG=E

Specs:

Model Channel divider
Specifications 2-3way electronic dividing network
Bandpass characteristic 18dB / oct
Input impedance 47kΩ
Input sensitivity 0.5V (rated output)
Rated output 1V (Low: 100Hz, Mid: 1kHz, High: 10kHz)
Maximum output 8V (+ 18dB / dBV, distortion 0.05% or less)
Output impedance 470Ω
Total harmonic distortion 0.005% or less (rated output)
Crossover frequency 2way-1: 500, 650, 800, 1.2kHz
2way-2: 2k, 3k, 5k, 8kHz
3way: 500, 650, 800, 1.2kHz (Low / Mid)
2k, 3k, 5k, 8kHz (Mid / High)
Output phase switching 0 °, 180 ° (Low, Mid, High)
S / N 100dB or more (IHF-A)
Input / output terminal RCA pin terminal (pure gold plating)
Power supply AC100V
Power consumption 4.3W
Dimensions Width 482x Height 44x Depth 235mm (19 "/ 1U Standard Rack Mount Size)
Weight 3.5kg

Fostex EN-3020 

Pictures and specs:

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/accessori/fostex-an3020-crossower/fostex-en3020.htm

Manual available here:

https://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/tech_support/manuals.shtml

Thanks.
Great discussion!! You guys sent me looking through some of my older gear and i dug up a Pioneer Series 20 D 23 4 way crossover I bought years ago. My thinking then was to construct a speaker system using Kenwood LO-7M amps for the subs and 3 other tube amps for the remainder of the drivers. The tube amp I had in mind for the top end was one of those small Cary triodes that I had read glowing reports of. I still don't have one, but I have everything else except the drivers. This, or something similar to this is where I interpreted @cosmicjazz was headed with his 6 channel amp. With an approach like this it frees you up from all of the constraints of conventional speaker design. I could be all wet with that statement, and am looking for some feedback from Erik and everyone else.
If you had a sweet stereo tube amp to drive a pair of drivers for the mid- highs, another for the mids, and another for the top ends, what drivers would you choose? And something within reason....no $1000 drivers or horns need apply, just bought off the shelf stuff that you think sounds great! And a lot of this is inspired by the Linkowitz designs.
@ mahlman  
"I am a Crown guy too. Went the consumer route for a while and tried all that "painless one touch" room correction junk and never was satisfied. You just can't beat the price and clean output of pro amps with consumer gear. "

The Crown is a "pro" amp but definitely does not "clean output" per the audio science review's measurements  https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-crown-xls-1502-amp.6062/

As you can see, this pro amp is more appropriate for "live" situations where noise, resolution and frequency range is not important.
@emailists 
"I think the ideal way to do active would be using the built in DSP and crossover function built into server software like JRiver.
It would require multiple or multi channel DAC, but it seems the least destructive method since no additional DA or AD conversions would be needed. "

I have your solution right here:
     Source: MiniDSP SHD Studio w/ Dirac Live. Everything is received and crossed-over between up to 4 channels in the digital domain; so you can set a subwoofer crossover and split 2 channels to your main speakers above that crossover and the other 2 channels to 2 subs. Output stays in the digital domain via 2 digital AES3 output (2 channels per output)
     Digital Active Speakers: Dynaudio Core 59 Speakers receive the digital direct feed from the MiniDSP via AES3 and then runs it through their internal DSP to apply its digital crossover for its 3 drivers (tweeter, mid, woofer). 

With this system, all digital signal stays in the digital domain throughout the chain without ever being converted to analog until the very last step (speaker has internal DAC for final conversion to internal amplifiers). Why did I suggest MiniDSP as the source? You can totally manipulate the signal by either applying Dirac Live or your own REW curve to your liking so that you can manipulate the frequency curve of your favorite system to make it "warm" or "forward" or whatever you want.

As long as your source can output to AES3, the Core 59 will receive the digital signal and run that signal through their 100% digital crossover DSP. Pro gear is pretty cool.