Why does rock concert sound suck?

I have been to two rock concert in the past year : Brit Floyd in Bridgeport CT and Eric Clapton at Madison Square Garden, NYC (last Monday)

For Brit Floyd I was about 40 feet form the stage and treble end was an ear-splitting distorted sound - the soprano solo on Dark Side of the Moon sounded like a chain saw running at 5x speed.

For Eric Clapton I was sitting at floor level about 20 rows behind the mixing desk - i.e., the opposite end from the stage. In this case the high top end was not so distorted, but the voices were still very harsh - seemingly a massive response peak at ~1500hz. Imagine AM radio with the treble turned up 20db.

I knew a lot of the words form the songs ahead of time of course, and just about recognized them, but otherwise the lyrics were unintelligible. The only exceptions were when he sang a quieter song - e.g., “Tears in Heaven” . Clapton moved back from the mic rather than place his mouth right next to it. Then the sound was quite listenable .

Of course managing the acoustics in such a big venue is no doubt a challenge — but does it have to be this bad?

oliver_reid

@booman - Porcupine Tree was just here in San Francisco on Wednesday night; a bunch of my friends went but I didn't, as I'm still not going to concerts this year for health reasons. I've seen P.T. and S.W. every other time they've come to town, though and yes, superb sound!! 

Uh, because it’s rock. It’s not like you’re recording the beautiful ambiance of a jazz club. I’ve never heard a live rock album that sounded good. Truth. 

@hartf36

I saw the Stones on that same ’81 tour in Dallas and I was very let down by the poor performance... it was not a strong show.

Later in ’88 or 89 I saw them on the Steel Wheels tour in Cleveland, and that was a great show, and the sound was good too... in Cleveland Stadium!  I saw The Who and Neil Young at that venue I think '89 and the sound in that stadium for both of those bands was good, at least where I was sitting.

I think maybe ’81 the Stones were too coked up to care, and they came off as a bunch of posers.

I passed on their most recent tour, though, because ticket prices made me sick...

Ok where to start the place where the show is yes ,absolutely, but also the sound engineer. Where you seat is also counts depending if its indoors or out doors The last shows I have seen 2 were at Jones Beach and outdoor arena. I saw the Outlaws and Lynard Skynyrd we were standing at the VIP bar which is off to the side and like 12 rows from the stage.Sounded Great.Saw Chicago there was just to the side of the stage and 10 rows back sounded Great.But I saw Deep Purple and Alice Cooper there in 2019 was upstairs in front row.Alice was good sounding, Deep Purple sound terrible, the lead singer voice was to low you couldn't hear him,so we left,that had to be the engineer fault.At Bridge port another smaller outdoor place sat 9th down just off center,LoverBoy,REO Speed wagon,Styxs all sounded good,loud but good.The loudest I can remember was Robin trower at the Paramount in Huntington NY,indoor place old movie theather.Sat upstairs but was very close to the stage and he blew,my ears out.OMG.Should of had earplugs.But way back in 1972csaw YES,King Crimson and the stars were  Procol Harum,and sat 8th row and they were Loud then you too the MTA subway home and if you couldn't hear then it was a great show I was 20 back then now I'm 70.Saw Santana at the Fillmore East I'm 1970 just after Woodstock and they were loud.but sounded great.Saw Elton John at MSG in 1976 sat right behind the stage sound was good.Saw David Bowie there Diamond Dogs tour sound was Good.ELP sound GOOD sat about 24 rows from the stage.Saw Kiss in 1972 they just started at a small club in Sunnyside, Queens NY they were loud and almost burned the place down.Saw them at the old Palladium on 14 st NYC.Sat in balcony they were,loud abs felt the heat from Gene's flames ,lol.Saw Allmans Brothers there in 1972 and they sounded great 12 row back.i saw alot of shows there all over the place sound was always good.But I say it's the Sound Engineer that makes the biggest adjustments.