Why does my DAC sound so much better after upgrading digital SPDIF cable?

I like my Mps5 playback designs sacd/CD player but also use it as a DAC so that I can use my OPPO as a transport to play 24-96 and other high res files I burn to dvd-audio discs.

I was using a nordost silver shadow digital spdif cable between the transport and my dac as I felt it was more transparent and better treble than a higher priced audioquest digital cable a dealer had me audition.

I recently received the Synergistic Research Galileo new SX UEF digital cable.  Immediately I recognized that i was hearing far better bass, soundstage, and instrument separation than I had ever heard with high res files (non sacd),

While I am obviously impressed with this high end digital cable and strongly encourage others to audition it, I am puzzled how the cable transporting digital information to my DAC from my transport makes such a big difference.

The DAC take the digital information and shapes the sound so why should the cable providing it the info be so important. I would think any competently built digital cable would be adequate....I get the cable from the DAC to the preamp and preamp to amp matter but would think the cable to the DAC would be much less important.

I will now experiment to see if using the external transport to send red book CD files to my playback mps5 sounds better than using the transport inside the mps5 itself.

The MPS5 sounds pretty great for ca and awesome with SACD so doubt external transport will be improvement for redhook cds

128x128karmapolice
I’m late in responding to this, but I agree there is absolutely a difference in digital cables. I run USB from my PC to my DAC. I recently changed the cord due to relocation of my DAC. I did NOT do this in order to achieve better sound. I thought “bits are bits”. 
I couldn’t have been more wrong. The difference was significant. Like listening to two different DAC’s head-to-head. Not going to say one was better, but they were CLEARLY different. As luck would have it I preferred the new cable. 
@chrisg1000

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/do-usb-audio-cables-make-a-difference.188...

Yes, they do measure differently, especially longer runs. However, any decent DAC (even $100, but talking cream of the crop), will reduce any errors below audibility.

If you hear a difference, then it’s time to get a better DAC. Just out of curiosity, is your DAC a Schiit? Because Schiit gear don’t typically handle dither/jitter as well as it’s competitors.
I think it's sad that people who dont believe cables make a difference troll audiophile boards....

Perhaps the bose forum or mp3 forum or bluetooth audio forum would be a better habitat 

@karmapolice  

I just showed that USB cables can sound different. But I also showed if your DAC doesn’t correct it, then the DAC isn’t performing well.
If you’re asking me, I have a Chord DAC. 
While not cream of the crop, it’s not a piece of crap, or a Schitt. 
And how is a DAC supposed to correct it? The DAC will do what’s it’s supposed to with the signal it receives.