Why do YOU love Vinyl/or hate vinyl

I just responded to the thread on how many sources do you have ( shotgunning tonight) and got me wondering why I love vinyl so much? Have a very good digital side on both my main system and my headphone system as well that was set up for Redbook playback (headphone system) only utilising my vast 1,000 CD collection, enjoyed it for about a year, added a turntable and haven't used it since. My love of vinyl has been with me for 55 years, buying and playing, setting up my tables , matching preamps and enjoying the fruit of my labor. I believe my love of vinyl is a simple one, it stemmed from the hands on, need to tinker and adjust that I was born with, it's a very physical attraction that I just can not resist, it satisfies a lot of needs for me and in some way is that mistress that I maintain. My turntable is massive and so easy to look at, I can touch it and get more out of it, I can read about the artist and get info while I listen to an album, I can swap out a cartridge and change the tone and in the day the album covers served as a rolling tray to roll a joint. I love vinyl, but absolutely understand while others don't. I also envy people like uberwaltz that have and use so many sources, wish I could. What say you?
tooblue

Showing 1 response by astewart8944

Why I love vinyl: (1) It reminds me of being a teenager in the 1970s and working my butt off to buy my first turntable, receiver and speakers. That work ethic helped pave a blessed road for me throughout life. It's a nice memory that I reinforce when that turntable starts spinning; (2) Most of the time vinyl sounds more cohesive to me than the same recording that has been remastered for digital; and (3) It requires you to pay attention to the music--you will be getting up and flipping that record--and that means you probably will not get distracted from the listening.
Why I hate vinyl: (1) It has me relying on people far away from me to properly grade their used vinyl that is for sale online--I've been burned, but I'm hunting the best copies I can find so I endure this reality; (2) The clicks and pops are real and distract from the listening experience--vinyl folks that deny this fact are romantics IMO; and (3) the fragility of the equipment--better be careful with that cartridge; better be careful with that tonearm. This stuff breaks if you are not careful--wait, it actually breaks even when you are careful.