Why do some think "music" (not gear, trading, etc.) is the ultimate end?

A recent thread spurred a debate about the word "audiophile." Again. It went round and round in the usual ways.

What I don't understand is why so many take for granted that loving music is superior to loving gear. Or that gear is always -- and must be -- a mere *means* to music, which is the (supposedly) true end.

But if you stop and think about it, why do we love music? It gives us enjoyment.
Isn't that why people love gear? The enjoyment?
Or even, to push the question, buying, selling, changing gear? That's for enjoyment, no?

So, it raises the difficult question: Why do some think that "music" as an "enjoyment" is better than "gear" or "shopping, buying, selling, trading"?

Not everyone believes this, but it is the most prevalent assumption in these discussions -- that "love of music" is the end-which-cannot-be-questioned. 

So, while music is the largest end I'm personally striving for, I do realize that it's because it brings me enjoyment. But the other facets of the hobby do, too. And I'm starting to realize that ranking them is an exercise but not a revelation of the "one" way everything should sort out. It's all pretty subjective and surely doesn't seem like a basis on which I could criticize someone else's enjoyment, right? 

What do you think? On what grounds do you see it argued that "music" is a *superior* or *ultimate* end? Whether you agree or not, what reasons do you think support that conclusion?
128x128hilde45
No insult intended hilde45.
I guess it came out that way.
You did indeed provoke a discussion.
I like the Zen... comment. I’m a big Lila fan too, sailing through life.
I get more satisfaction getting audio hardware to work synergystcally than collecting the pieces alone. All in service of the enjoying music more.
I get much more "buzz" from discovering music I like than looking at "kit."
To answer the banner question, music is the "only" end. The pursuit of hifi gear is never ending.
rushfan71 , I can relate! I owned a Ducati for 22-23 years. When i wasn’t riding it or fettling with it, I would sit in the garage with a beverage and a calm mind and just marvel at the art that is an Italian motorcycle... Yes, I had other bikes, but THAT bike was an object d’art...
As for music vs. gear, when I started in over 40 years ago it was a means to relate to my father. He was a classic "audiophile" with expensive equipment and a large record collection. When he wasn’t tinkering with his system he would spend hours listening to symphonies, Latin music and jazz. Occasionally he would let me play something of mine something on his system, which I’m sure sounded atrocious to him. (Rush2112 on Bozak Concert Grands? Wow! :) But we’d discuss different things and he’d teach me how and what to listen for. So when I started building systems I valued his opinions even if my meager efforts couldn’t hold a candle to his. He’s gone now, two decades, but I still rely on the techniques he taught me. A quiet home. A quiet soul. An observant mind.
Right now I’m happy with my system so I can easily let the "acquisition wolf" rest as it’s been fed and I can feed the other "wolf" that lets me enjoy the music. Hmmm but maybe I should swap that Jolida tube DAC for a Chord first? Argh! Stop it and just play music for awhile! LOL
Happy listening!
Musicfan--  Ha!  I had a Ducati  some 50 years ago, that took far more time to keep running than to actually ride.  Learned a lot about mechanics, though, in the process. Same w/ my other bikes; that's the way things were before Japanese bikes took over the market.  The main Life Lesson I learned, blessedly, was that I was not a good enough rider to do this sort of thing with anything resembling safety.

@ musicfan2349

Wow Bozak Concert Grands...brings back a bunch of memories.  I loved those speakers.  I'm willing to bet they were paired with McIntosh.  Was
very classic for the period.

Warm Regards,
barts