Why do people care what their speaker wants?

Or amp. Or DAC, pre-amp, or whatever. Fill in the blank. Why does anyone care? Are speakers so haughty they get all moody and pouty if you don't give them what they want? I thought the whole point was to have a system that sounds the way we want it to sound? So why all the people asking what goes with what? What do they care? Why?
128x128millercarbon
My equipment just wants to be played!

I tell my wife that all the time....

You know, when the speakers have been sitting idle too long. TT needs to be spun and arm moved.

( What equipment did you think I was talking about??!)
I agree with MC to a point.
I think the exception would be amp suggestions for hard to drive speakers such as Maggie's.
I see (read) a lot about the fact that that it takes current to run them properly. 
That would be a speaker that I would ask the forum their thoughts on the proper amp in my price range.

Other than something like that, I think the only one to be asked what goes with what is our ears.
Hello millercarbon:" Are speakers so haughty they get all moody and pouty if you don't give them what they want?"

Hello millercarbon,

You do know speakers are female and amps are male, right?

A young and pretty pair of speakers may have a hankering for a big, young, strong, powerful, assertive and solid state sort of an amp, or a pair of them, and you offer them only a little, old, weak, temperamental, low energy, timid, high maintenance, tubey and sissy sort of an amp, or pair of them. 
      Do you understand now why these young and pretty young lasses might get a bit haughty, moody and pouty?  Birds and the bees simple, man.

Hormones,
   Tim

Yes of course. Everyone knows that stuff. Which is okay I guess when they’re ported. The ones that are sealed however, who cares? And don’t even get me going about the flat panel ones! The best get the horn on. Some of them really put out!