Why do modern DACs over $1,000 sound different?

I was thinking of picking up the new Benchmark DAC2 HGC, the W4S DAC-2, or the Anedio D2. They all seem well engineered, spec out exceptionally well (beyond human hearing), jitter is negligible, and they use the most modern chip sets and techniques. All three sell direct and seem to put the emphasis on design and not athletics (so you’re not paying extra money for markups and audio jewelry). Do they or any well engineered DACs beyond this price range actually sound different in blind testing or is it more brand preference? I read reviews using adjectives such as “analytical”, “detailed”, “dry”, “forgiving”, “bright”, “neutral”, “transparent”, “emotion”, “dark”, “thin”, “disappears”, etc. I would think that they are either accurate or not, so can this really be? I would appreciate some informed comments as to what drives the sound of DACs and any recommendations. Thanks.
128x128cdj123

Showing 1 response by jimcrane

A follow up question (or two) about jitter and how to reduce it.

After reading this thread, I have a question. I have a Sony cd changer that I use because of the convenience. It has an optical output. I am thinking about trying a DAC to learn if I can hear an improvement in. Am I right to read Steve's response as suggesting that I'd have to put a device between the changer and the DAC that would reduce the jitter? If so, what's that device? Or would I just be better off buying a cd player when I want to do some critical listening? TIA

Jim