Why do I see more Vandersteen model 3s vs model 2s for sale?

Just wondering about something I've noticed on the audiogon.com website over the past few months. It seems when Vandersteen speakers pop-up for sale a good percentage of them are the model 3's. Based off what I know about Vandersteen it seems like there should be a lot more Model 2's for sale based off of overall units sold. Anyone else notice this? What could be the reason?
I currently have the Model 2c's (SNs around 27K, I believe) and they are a great speaker. When I upgrade I either want the latest version of the model 2 (2ce sig II's) used, or used Model 3a sigs (also the latest version). I think the pricing would be somewhere in the ballpark of 1.8k for the 2ce sig IIs vs around 2.4k for the 3a sigs.
Would I be better or getting the model 2's or springing an extra $700 on the model 3's?
Just wanted to get some input on this. 3A sigs seem like the logical choice, but seeing so many for sale compared to the model 2's make me hesitant. Thanks for any insight.
bstatmeister
I have three turntables .... bring it on!

I agree with tomic in that there really is no reason not to enjoy most speakers (if they are good) in any room. I think some speakers get "moved on" prematurely, without spending the necessary time to test placements. It can be frustrating, but rewarding.

Part of my problem is of my own making. I have two sets of speakers. The second set, going through a crossover update are Miller & Kreisel S-1B satellites that give me another musical option. The Vandies are great for everything, and honestly, if such a speaker exists, I can't afford it. But my Sansui BA-3000 is fully restored and took over a year. I'm not letting it go, but it doesn't give me the sound two Parasound amps give me, so the M&K speakers are the only way I can fit cool vintage speakers into my room without causing problems. That said, I have found one good placement of my 3A's using the Third's placement which brings them out into the room in a way, I won't be able to move the S-1B's around. 
@bstat, 
I think Mr. V. and dealers like John Rutan understand that not all of us can afford to buy new.
When I had some questions and called Vandersteen, Mr. V. called back the next day to offer guidance. He even called back the following day to see if I had rectified the problem- All this, knowing I had bought my speakers used.
And, Johnny has provided so much good info, as well, without any sales pitch.
A very reputable company with equally reputable distributors.
B
There's not a lot of audio pioneers like that. It's a testament for his love of what he does, and the fact he cares about his customers getting enjoyment out of his efforts.

I have to say the same for Richard Schram of Parasound. I have a pair of his older amps, but he is good about responding to questions I have had in the past. I could mention Ken Kreisel as well ...  
Yes, the older guys were like that for the most part.  Mark Levinson couldn't do that since he never designed anything.  Tom C did all of that and Mark marketed and sold the stuff, lol.