Why do I see more Vandersteen model 3s vs model 2s for sale?

Just wondering about something I've noticed on the audiogon.com website over the past few months. It seems when Vandersteen speakers pop-up for sale a good percentage of them are the model 3's. Based off what I know about Vandersteen it seems like there should be a lot more Model 2's for sale based off of overall units sold. Anyone else notice this? What could be the reason?
I currently have the Model 2c's (SNs around 27K, I believe) and they are a great speaker. When I upgrade I either want the latest version of the model 2 (2ce sig II's) used, or used Model 3a sigs (also the latest version). I think the pricing would be somewhere in the ballpark of 1.8k for the 2ce sig IIs vs around 2.4k for the 3a sigs.
Would I be better or getting the model 2's or springing an extra $700 on the model 3's?
Just wanted to get some input on this. 3A sigs seem like the logical choice, but seeing so many for sale compared to the model 2's make me hesitant. Thanks for any insight.
bstatmeister
@mr_m ,
If you are in the NY/NJ area, perhaps we can meet at Johnny's place this summer. I am getting a small group together when things slow down for me.
@czarivey , 
Though I wouldn't characterize the 5a's as slow, they are massive and I like to my speakers look nice-visually-in a room, so I would have to agree.
FWIW, when I was streaming music a month ago, I didn't realize that I had the volume up on the system downstairs( I am streaming to Bluesound Nodes in different parts of the house).
Those Treo's can certainly put out a significant volume of music. When I walked downstairs and heard them, I was set aback. It sounded like live music.
B

Bob,

That would be a great trip. Never been out East. I live near Phoenix Az. But would love to get near your area. That would be great to meet you, and to go to Audioconnection. Thanks for the offer!
Cheers,
Tim
Great posts guys.   You all make sense, because we all have our own priorities etc...  I can vouch for Tomic and Richard wanting to know about any problems, but what makes it worse is that you said I was at a dealer.  I've personally never sen anyone's speakers have such a problem that you can see the MDF.  I have only used veneer a few times for box work.  Nothing as large as a speaker cabinet.  

I too love to work with sap wood on certain types. Walnut is great as can be cherry.  Some of the exotics I get have some cool sap wood.  

I work mostly with highly figured quarter sawn white oak as I make mostly Arts and Crafts furniture with a buddy.  Have MS and can't carry boards and Al sees when I can't do certain things, lol. 

Bob, let me know and I'll see if I can get a ride down....would be fun.  Won't be able to go anywhere for a few weeks as I recover from my surgery last week.
finally dragged my carcass “ home “ to Seattle....
have the 7’s fired up with some 91 point Costco rot-gut red from Portugal .....

Sol Gabetta - Prayer sounding good....the Ref5 se dial says 38, mid hall is where I put my seat, maybe just a whisker forward of that.....

now on a more serious note, we all owe our various manufacturers honest, frank feedback on quality issues - the customer who walks away silent is the most dangerous to health of any business. Lets help improve those great companies creating jobs and great products.

all good

Jim
5a is giant itself. Big heavy and very slow. Won't work in small rooms. You need at least 50 people auditorium sized space. In ordinary sized listening room 3a or quattros will dom
Well, my home is an open floor plan with the great room kitchen and dining room is all one room and on top of that there is a giant hallway leading to various parts of the house, so, I can't even get a good figure on room dimensions.  Perhaps the 5a's might be OK in my situation? Plus, the speakers themselves aren't that much taller than the model 2's correct? (I know the 5a would be quite a bit deeper, however)