Why do I keep torturing myself with remasters?

I am really beginning to believe these 180 remasters are mixed for a 500.00 system.It seems every one I buy it's either super bright,or has an ass load of bass in all the wrong places.The Bowie i have the soundstage is all wacked out .I have a decent setup but i can't imagine how much more obvious it must be on a serious setup.I can say the Yes fragile I got lately (cut fromt he original tapes) sounds pretty good ,Zeppelin In thru the outdoor Yikes! so bright waste of 25.00 again..... 
128x128oleschool
great read Bill ,I enjoyed the whole site .I made it through most of it and am always learning ,thanks you .
I find these $40 re-releases are often inferior to the original, which in many cases is $10.  40 year old master tapes can sound good, but often don't and I doubt Columbia, Warner, etc are sending the primo tapes to these companies making a run of 5,000 records for audiophiles. 
One of the things that everyone seems to forget is that each company that does re-mastering is setting up the cutting lathe (slightly) differently and you will have to adjust your VTAs to eliminate the brightness and bass emphasis. One you do this you will notice the improvement that most re-mastering makes. For example, the difference between the VTA adjustment for an acoustic sounds re-master and mobile fidelity re-master is about 0.013. The good thing is the two companies seem to setup their lathes consistently and you can adjust the VTA the same for each family of pressings.
I am quite frustrated too, especially at the price point we are now paying for these albums. I find it "hit and miss" with the quality of most of these now.