why do hi-end fuses keep blowing, while std don't?

I've had my McIntosh MC275 for several years running flawlesly. Up until last Nov I was using stock KT88 and rolled small tubes and had a Hi-Fi Tunning fuse without issues.

In Nov-13 I upgraded the KT-88 to Psvane black bottles measuring 60mA plate current. A few power-ons after I rolled the tubes, I turned on the amp to let it warm up, but returned to a blown fuse. I thought a tube might be bad so used a std fuse, but never had a problem again.

Two months ago I bought a new high-end fuse, replaced it, and soon thereafter the same happened: blown fuse. I replaced it with a std fuse again, which is still running.

So I want to upgrade the fuse, but chances are if I use the 2A fuse it will happen again. Yet I don't want to use a higher value fuse. I'm thinking the Psvanes might be drawing significantly more current than the stock KT88 and the Hi-Fi Tunning fuse might have a tighter spec, driving said fuses to fail while the std ones survive. Would you agree?

Suggestions as to how to resolve this?

thanks much!
lewinskih01

Showing 2 responses by dragon1952

I had my first audiophile fuse blow in my tube integrated within a few days (hi fi tuning silver star). I started doing some research on some of the other brands and found one that said in small print at the bottom of the ad that it was not designed (and I can't remember the exact words)to be installed directly in the AC path or something like that? My fuse is in the little drawer under the IEC. Never had a problem with stock fuses. I have tried to find that disclaimer again to no avail. I know some of them specifically mention use for mains power and not sure which one the OP used that blew but thought I'd mention that. I'd contact the manufacturer and tell them exactly how one intends to use it before spending $50.
"That the upgraded fuses are blowing and the stock fuses are not would indicate to me that the stock fuses are more forgiving and the upgraded fuses are only doing what they are supposed to do-self destruct before something awful happens."

You could just as easily assume that the stock fuses are doing exactly what they should be doing and the upgrades are much too sensitive or not up to spec.