Why do amps sound different?

Hi folks, can anyone tell me why amps sound different? I know this is a very trivial question, but it isn't so trivial as I previously thought. For example: an amp can sound "warm", while the other can sound "lean" and a bit "cooler". These amps measure the same on the test bench, but why do they sound different? What causes the "warm" characteristic if the amp has pretty good measurements and frequency characteristics? It is certainly not measurable high frequency roll off, otherwise the amp sucks. Maybe one of the experts among us can elucidate this issue a bit. Thank you.

Chris
dazzdax

Showing 1 response by gs5556

Cost. Every amplifier is designed to a price point. Since there's no such thing as a perfect amplifier, each manufacturer strives for the best sound within a budget (assuming that's the design criteria). Everything inside the amplifier imparts distortion - there's no getting around it - so they compromise as best they can. Forget bench numbers (see: Tube Amps), the sound of an amplifier is mostly based on what the designer hears as he's voicing the amp. And since no two people will neccesarily concur what is the best way of doing things, there's will always be differences - whether it's amplifiers or pizza.