Why do all Mahler recordings seem too bright?

Yes - I may be exaggerating but I haven’t yet found any recordings of his symphonies that properly balance the extra treble energy that are often part of the dynamic swings.  Part of the problem may be that I’m not sure I yet actually “like” Mahler’s music though there are moments that are exquisite.  But, I can’t get through a whole piece because the recordings hurt my ears.  

As a side note - I have been on both sides of a microphone - having been a musician in the past and also having recorded/mixed a number of orchestral concerts at a performing arts center.  Pre-pandemic I would go to orchestral concerts regularly. So - I do have at least some reference.

I have some recordings (they were given to me) that are positively unlistenable (a DG recording of his 5th may be singularly the worst recording I’ve heard).

I thought the hi res versions of San Francisco by MTT might be the ticket.  While better, they still seem too bright and harsh to me.

Perhaps it’s my system that’s too bright, or perhaps something else is going on but I’ve plenty of other classical music that sounds better. We’ll recorded jazz and acoustic, too. 

Of course I can find poor recordings in any genre, but I’d welcome recommendations from my fellow forumites of some Mahler recordings that I might try.  I’d love to be able to listen to the closing moments of the 2nd at reasonable volume - without cringing.  

mgrif104

Here is a good read about value of adding subs: https://ohmspeaker.com/news/for-optimum-sound-how-many-subs-and-where-do-you-put-em/

Btw I picked up the entire Bernstein Mahler symphony series on CD about a year back somewhere on eBay new for about $12. Best deal ever! Can vouch for fact that these recordings are not inherently bright. Streaming Symphony #2 now as we speak. This thread reminded me it’s been too long! I do rip all my CDs and stream them only for playback and I find that to be a very robust way to help assure quality at the source with my digital recordings

Yes well that was one of the big things about Ohm Fs ie being able to drive them well on the day. It’s a piece of cake these days with the newer Ohm Walsh models and newer amp technology like Class D.  

Oh right those are bigger Kefs right?  Should be up to the task with the right amplification I would think  

Btw offloading low end from mains to a sub can help with any speaker even large more full range ones because the bass is where an amp works exponentially harder with lower frequency and excluding the lower frequencies allows the amp to work much less harder which always results in lower distortion. So a powered sub or two with active crossover might still be just what the doctor ordered. Your 100w/ch amp would likely never break a sweat with a sub handling the lowest octave or two instead.

Huh? Wha? My many Mahler recordings are actually pretty well balanced, tone-wise. Maybe it's my forgiving system or my admittedly ancient LPs, but from the Solti London recordings to the Bruno Walter Odyssey recordings to the Horensteins to my three copies of the Vanguard Wunderhorn recording, they're all just fine.

Post removed 

Thanks to @kr4 - for recommending some that are better.

I don't necessarily regard them as "better."  I just recommended them in the hope that they might seem "better" for you.