Why Build Quality Matters

There are reports from time to time here about people opening up products to find either shoddy workmanship, cheap parts or little at all inside to warrant the price paid. Companies recently mentioned in this regard are Synergistic Research, QOL and Nordost. They are not the only ones that have been noted over the years.

What are we to make of all this? Some people say they don't care as long as the product delivers what they expected. Point well made. But in many cases these products no not deliver what was expected. In any case, it makes one wonder about makers who charge full price but don't deliver high quality workmanship and parts. Not to mention the "little-inside makers". I have been shocked by high-priced cables that were poorly made (bad soldering, cheap terminations and "hobby-quality" dialectric) and a very high-priced component that contained very cheap parts. In both of these cases the products themselves did not "deliver" either and were sold off.

What do you think about all this?
sabai

Showing 1 response by zd542

I remember reading the thread that mentioned Synergistic cables build quality. I'm not a big fan of their cables overall, but I have tried them in my system several times on loan from The Cable Company. To me they looked like they were very well made. Of course, I could be wrong since I couldn't see inside the cable to judge its build quality.

That said, I have a couple of ideas regarding this. First, the dealer may have re-terminated the cables themselves. I've seen this before and its fairly common. Its very tempting for a dealer that has some very long runs that they can't get rid of for some reason, to cut them into sizes that will sell. Second, most of the bigger cable companies have very good warranties. I know my Audioquest cables are guaranteed for life. There's a very good chance that if the cables were sent back to Synergistic, they would have been repaired under warranty.

I'm not saying that its definitely the case here. Its just something to consider. Like others have stated, they could very well be poorly made.