Why are my B&W 803D speaks feel bright

Hi can someone help with this issue. i find my 803d very bright andfatiguing can you show me some tweek or suggestions. i have meridian 559 powr amp 1098 rotel pre pro and rdv dvd player and gibrolator audioquset cables in columbia interconnects
128x128seanspong

Showing 2 responses by stanwal

I have Meridian 605 amps and don't find them bright. I have had several B&W speakers but not the latest generations. You may be having room problems but a simple thing to try is along the lines that Rwware suggested. Go to an office supply store and get a laser pointer; put a tall narrow object like a lamp just in front of your listening position; then fasten the laser pointer onto the speaker with masking tape of blutak so that it points straight ahead. Use the laser pointer to align the speaker so that it hits the lamp directly. Do the same with the other speaker; now the axis of the tweeters are crossing directly in front of the listening position. This alignment was developed by the BBC in the early days of Stereo and is known as "Hugh Brittany Angling" after its developer. Does NOT work with every speaker but will with most. I just thought I had my Spendor S 100s aligned correctly by eye but kept getting too bright a sound. After I had used the laser [ which I should have done first] the sound was noticeably softer but actually had more treble detail. I got the laser pointer idea from the Wilson set up guys who installed my friends Sasha.
Actually I recently heard a pair of previous generation [ 5 years old or so] 803s driven by a Rotel amp and pre and they were far from bright. Possible the new tweeter would make a big difference but these were in a very reflective room. Rotel makes some quite good equipment at the top of its line, I would rather have their top equipment than Mac SS or any Class D amp. My Meridian amps drove my Apogee Duetta Signatures with no problems; they have trouble with my GamuT L5s, which go down to 2.8 ohms. Driving them hard for long periods will cause them to overheat but the sound is very good. The Revelator tweeter in the L5s supposedly go out to 60 Khz [ I cannot confirm this personally and the bats of my acquaintance have refused to comment] so they do not lack high end. You may just not like the new hard dome tweeters, I do not care for the ones I have heard myself. It is a matter of taste, they are technically very good. In the distant past I used Ionic tweeters, which achieved a similar degree of technical perfection but sounded quite different. As a matter of fact, B&Ws first speaker, the P2H, used the Ionic tweeter, so they have come full circle. I had a pair myself in the late 60s.