Why are equipment racks so expensive?

I periodically look through the racks in the sales section and I cannot get over just how darn pricey those things are.  I don't get it.  

I mean I see racks that cost 1, 2 or even 3K.  Really?

I've currently got two Ikea end tables stacked (not the Lack but some other ones) and they work rather well but sometimes I look just to see what's available.  I see the prices.  Then I'm back to being happy with what I've got.

So...why the prices?
128x128audiodwebe
While the Lack is a very good shelf for next to nothing, Finite Elemente and SRA racks (examples I own) are better sounding and better pieces of furniture. I am not sure of the cost question. One is designed to be ultra cheap and mass manufacturered. A smart guy named Ken Lyons promoted their use. FE and SRA are much better pieces of furniture, sound better and not mass produced.  

Also the Lack is a shelf, not a unit. Solidity and stability was not the point. They are very light and rigid to yield clean bass.  "Solid" actually means nothing to me by itself as far as performance is concerned. My flexy was solid and sounded horrible.  
Some materials are expensive. So are labor and manufacturing. Precision costs money.

Anybody who has compared isolation platforms and racks, and isn’t as deaf as a post, will tell you some perform better than others.
"Anybody who has compared isolation platforms and racks, and isn’t as deaf as a post, will tell you some perform better than others."

Yes pauly, whether some here like it or not, that is the truth.
If you think 3K is a lot you better not look at Critical Mass Systems. I used to think it was stupid, now I own a 3-shelf Maxxum and have some Black Platinum shelves on order for amps. They even have an Olympus rack above the Maxxum. The cost is due to very low volume in this segment of the market, combined with exceptional quality of materials, manufacture, and finish.