Why are brick and mortar HiFi dealers so bad?

I have rarely found a reasonably decent HiFi dealer and I live in the New York metro area where there are probably more per capita than anywhere else.  I've been to a lot of shops and I'm tired of the smug attitudes, the lousy customer service, weird return policies, etc.  Friends state that the owners are jaded because people come in and listen to a bunch of gear and then go buy it elsewhere or pre-owned on web sites like Audiogon.  If that is the case, figure out a better sales strategy or shutter your store.  I've moved onto Music Direct and Audio Advisor and Upscale Audio.  Buy it and try it on your own system in your own listening room with a money-back guarantee.  If you know a decent HiFi retailer, please pass it along.
128x128pg62

Showing 6 responses by tomic601

Excel in Newport Beach is on my visit list, for sure. I only hear good things....
yes, Bert at Seattle HiFi for sure, he and Gorgon who sells gear for him BOTH have good ears and are excellent to deal with on many levels.

not sure if Connon at Tune is still engaged, I hope so as he is tech savvy in the ways of NAIM and also has a good ear and sensibility about him. He got my Unitiserve to backup when the factory support team failed for years !!!!!
Thinking of The Devils Drop , much closer to Asheville than the Dragons Tail, you can of course scare yourself still via utube.

NC 151
@fatdaddy2 I second your high opinion of Jay but I had heard he hung up the spurs and retired ????
@gestalt some wicked good riding and driving roads near Asheville as you no doubt knows.... the devils corkscrew comes to mind
Well to keep things positive and give Millercarbon a larger sample size than just Definitive ( who btw loaned me a $10 k Levinson price a decade ago for a weeklong trial on just a handshake), he and really anyone in Seattle area should check out Advanced in Tacoma ( while owned by Definitive ) is has the Havens/Hardesty dna and vibe.
Eric ( and George the tech ) at Gig Harbor Audio are great, they probably even have your old Dynaco amp...

finally for the OP ++++ for Audio Connection in Verona