Why are AM/FM Tuners So Expensive?

I'm referring to NAD, Rotel, etc...

Are they really that much better than what comes in a mass-market receiver?

Thanks!
bday0000

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Bday0000:

When you say expensive, what do you mean exactly?? I say this because while today's NEWER high-end tuners tend to be pretty expensive, you really don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a tuner if you just want one. But if you to hear some quality right along with the radio signal that you will receive off the air, then yes, tuners are going to be expensive as well. And another reason why this is so is supply and demand. Because there are FM purists that are out there who are in pursuit of the best sound they can get off of FM, and stand alone tuners tend to be scarce today, that may be the reason why tuners are expensive the way that they are. But like I said again, there are a sea full of used analog/digital tuners out there either in pawn shops or in audio consignment shops, and I am willing to bet that you can probably land one for about a song. I'd say that anywhere from $75.00 to no more than $125.00 should be more than enough for you to land a used inexpensive tuner. But now, if you want something decent like an older McIntosh MR-67, MR-71 or a cult classic like a 1965 vintage Marantz 10B, they are going to cost you quite a bit. The reason being is because of the inheret design of these tuners when they were out years ago, and the performance level of them as well. These tuners were so good back then, that they will trounce whatever is new and available today. And for those VERY reasons, they tend to be highly sought after, but very hard to find. And when you finally come across one, those tuners are going to command a steep price then. I happen to have a Magnum Dynalab FT-101 (not the FT-101A..... the original FT-101), and I also must mention that I am also in love with it. Now I don't know how it will stack up when it is compared to say....... a McIntosh MR-71 or a Marantz 10B. But I do know that it will stomp the living s**t out of anything that is out there today as far as sensitivity, selectivity, FM quieting and sound quality is concerned. NAD's and Rotels, or what have you need not apply. The Magnum Dynalab FT-101 had a list price of just $500.00 back in 1985 (when it was new). I paid at least that much for it two years ago when I bought mine, and I bought it used. So that alone should tell you how much they are sought after, and how well they tend to hold their value. Newer equivilants will cost $1,000.00 today. Pretty astounding when in fact you could've gotten THAT VERY same tuner for half that amount almost two decades ago. But again, try the pawn shops or the consignment shops. You may be able to find a decent used one for around $100.00 or so (give or take $25.00), and you never know, you may find a "diamond in the rough" out there somewhere.

Good Luck........

--Charles--