Why a line preamp?

It's been my understanding that the best component is a straight wire. Further, before the the advent of the phono a preamp was not required. All that was needed was a volume control. Now with the reduced usage of the phono we find we must have the line stage preamp. Where's the straight wire philosphy? Why do we need anything more than a volume control and selector switch? Today I connected my McIntosh tuner directly into my amp since the tuner does have a volume control. It sounded better.
rwilson2

Showing 2 responses by 1953

Agreed! I've been a "passivist" since a humble little $200 Adcom line controller trounced the $2500 ARC LS2 I had. Active line stages are artifacts, throw backs if you will, to the days when there was only phono (however I DO remember one preamp in the 70's that had only a direct path to the volume pot for the tuner and tape inputs).

I've come to the conclusion that for 2 channel home music applications, if you NEED an active line stage there is something WRONG in the system. I also feel that about half of the difference that people hear between analog and digital is due to the people making comparisons by having the CD source plugged into the same preamp that the table is plugged into. The CD source then being veiled by all that active gain crap in the way.

I seriously suggest you look for a Reference Line Preemminance 1, Series II/III or a Preemminance 2. It is the best "passive" preamp I've heard to date. I had the Mod Squad Line Drive Deluxe, then the TLC (slightly better than the Deluxe) and was happy for about a year, absolutely convinced there was no better. Then a local high end shop suggested I take home one of the Reference Line units over the weekend. Hooked it up (LOVE having no power cord or warm-up)qued up the first CD......OH MY! Within the first few seconds I knew this unit was not going to leave and the Deluxe & TLC were for sale. Gone was the slightly thin and forward presentation, present was a meaty big and bouncy acoustic space, ballsy bass and fluid detail. My wife kept telling me to turn it down on dynamic peaks even though voltage measurements told me I was actually running 1/2 db lower at average levels. You can find these units here going for between $500-800 depending on vintage and model.

Good Luck!!
Tom :

Why yes, it does have a complete tape/tape monitor loop.

It would interesting to compare the DAC's fixed output thru the Reference Line to the DAC's attenuator output. Another passive to passive comparison.

Later Reference Line Models had a direct input feature which was a straight shot thru just the attenuator, thus avoiding the other switches and wiring. Also, a remote volume control was available as an option. Volume only and the remote was kinda clunky but it worked well.

Reference Line stuff is great looking too with mirror polished black anodizing face plates and gold plated handles.

Good Luck