Who thinks $5K speaker cable really better than generic 14AWG cable?

I recently ordered high end speaker, power amp, and preamp to be installed in couple more weeks. So the next search are interconnect and speaker cable. After challenging the dealer and 3 of my so called audiophile friends, I think the only reason I would buy expensive cable is for its appearance to match with the high end gears but not for sound performance. I personally found out that $5K cable vs $10 cable are no difference, at least not to our ears. Prior to this, I was totally believe that cable makes a difference but not after this and reading few articles online.

Here is how I found out.

After the purchase of my system, I went to another dealer to ask for cable opinion (because the original dealer doesn't carry the brand I want) and once I told him my gears, he suggested me the high end expensive cable ranging from $5 - 10K pair, depending on length. He also suggested the minimum length must be 8-12ft. If longer than 12ft, I should upgrade to even more expensive series. So I challenged him that if he can show me the difference, I would purchase all 7 AQ Redwood cables from him.

It's a blind test and I would connect 3 different cables - 1 is the Audioquest Redwood, 1 is Cardas Audio Clear, and 1 my own generic 14AWG about 7ft. Same gears, same source, same song..... he started saying the first cable sound much better, wide, deep, bla...bla...bla......and second is decently good...bla...bla...bla.. and the last one sounded crappy and bla...bla...bla... BUT THE REALITY, I NEVER CHANGED THE CABLE, its the same 14AWG cable. I didn't disclosed and move on to second test. I told him I connected audioquest redwood but actually 14AWG and he started to praise the sound quality and next one I am connected the 14awg but actually is Redwood and he started to give negative comment. WOW!!!! Just blew me right off.

I did the same test with 3 of my audiophile friends and they all have difference inputs but no one really got it right. Especially the part where I use same generic 14awg cable and they all start to give different feedback!!!

SO WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? OR I AM THE LAST PERSON TO FIND OUT THAT EXPENSIVE CABLE JUST A RIP OFF?
sautan904
infirthemusic: As long as you knew which cables you were listening to, your ability to actually faithfully "judge" comparative performance is compromised.  But whichever ones you think sound better are the ones you should use.
Nice try dynaquest 14, but it is impossible for me to compromise. Just have way too much experience with music to allow that to happen.  I judge everything on it's merits. In fact I have many cheaper components I rate higher than more expensive components. Would be great if the generic cable sounded better, sadly it didn't. Bang for buck is what it's all about for me. I recommend you try the US$115 cables and highly recommend them as great bang for buck. I looked at your system, you would really need better source and much, much better speakers to do the cables justice though.
For folks who care about the science of cables, there are tests that I've seen that show various cables as well as 'minimum' wires trying to pass a square wave.  Cables and cartridges have the highest mark up in the audio world (maybe some accessories are up there too), but there are audible as well as measurable differences.  I'm not an engineer as possibly some of you are, but there are plenty of reasons for cables to pass things along differently.  Some utilize plated cables, AQ uses a DBS system that reduces loading of the dielectric if I recall correctly.  All of these things can be measured and are measured.  

I personally have limits to what I will spend depending on my system.  Most of the time, it's not difficult to chose wires/cables in a system.  For those who believe in using basic wire, that's awesome and it works for you.  No reason for any of us to talk you out of it.  

I also agree with those who feel that some of the cables change the sound, but not always for the best.  I actually don't like many lines of cables and I'm against 'tuning' your system using different cables.  To me, I just get the system I love up front. I spend my money on components.  Once I like what I'm hearing, then I will chose the cables that are the most neutral and will give me the dynamics, staging and anything else I loved to begin with.  For me, the AQ and Cardas lines have been the best.  I only am using the AQ line now and like anything else, there are diminishing returns. I will say that going from the less expensive cables in the line to the ones that use DBS, I hear positive differences. That's where the point of diminishing returns comes in. When I had the Vandy Treo's, I heard positive changes all the way up the line into the mega thousands range, but for me, it was silly to spend that much when I was using an 8k speaker and a 13k integrated.  

Now I have a pair of Quatro's that cost over 15k or so I believe.  NOW, the smaller positive differences are more pronounced and I'm thinking about spending a bit more as the system is worthy of it.  Again, this is just me and my hearing.  

I have been using a basic USB cable from my server to my Ayre QX5/20 DAC.  I had a friend over and had him behind the system constantly changing the USB cable while I listened to the same passaged over and over again.  I then asked him to leave on of them in to listen to some full songs.  The cable that won out was the AQ Diamond USB cable.  It works for me as it's not too expensive in my mind.
Told me everything in original question except what you were connecting to! 5k speaker cable you put on 14000.00 dollar Mark Levinson amps! Sound of things, keep the generic!
Sorta like putting $15,000 tires on a $40,000 BMW...and then saying how it rides now like a Ferrari....just to justify the purchase?