Who still sells NOS Telefunken 6922's?

These tubes are getting VERY hard to find. It seems like many tube dealers are running out or have already run out. Others, like Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio, will sell only to customers who have bought a product from their store which requires these tubes. Does anyone know a reputable tube dealer with reasonable prices who still stocks these tubes? I have a CAT Ultimate which requires 6 6922's and 4 12AX7's to completely retube. What other brands (NOS or otherwise) have a similar sonic signature and perhaps will still be available 5 years from now? No Sovtek's, please! Thanks
rayhall

Showing 1 response by superclamp040b

Hey Mr Rayhall, I own a CAT MK-3, and i'm happy to report that i have tried quiet a few 6922 tubes... the Amperex sound really good, i must say , but after some 5 or 6 pairs tried, i couldn't use not one of em'because of microphonics or spitting.. The Philips sound very good with low noise, very low microphonics, clear good choice. I have had Siemens, Telefunky's Mullard's and a couple of others, but ALMOST all were [too] microphonic, and/or noisy. although good sounding ! [N.O.S all] So, i refer to my CAT as "the tube tester" you will want to agree with that.. The new SOVTEK's with black print are no good i agree, they don't sound good, and they will break down soon. But what's surprising here.. I got hold on some older stock SOVTEK's from the early seventies...Boy, are they good. NOT as good sounding as the AMPEREX, but very low noise, NO microphonics, and a very detailed although a bit forward sound, just on the bright side..you can cope with that by replacing the ECC 83's for MULLARD's... it's a goood combo, try it' As i live in Holland,the country of origin for these tubes, I can tell you that even here it is hard to find NOS Amperex,Siemens, [Philips is not so hard to find], So be happy if you happen to have a pristine sounding and quiet pair in your CAT workin'!! Recommend the Philips and NOS Sovteks though. E-mails from fellow CAT owners welcome on this subject... Enjoy the music, Ron.