Who makes great active preamps ? Tube or solid state or hybrid.

It appears, it is not Pass, Rowland, even Lamm etc. Who then ? 
I heard about Ypsilon, though some say it is a little bright and forward sounding.
inna
Obviously, some brands are mentioned more frequently because that company produces a lot of units.  That having been said, of the brands I've owned, Audio Research is one the best I personally have heard.  When the ARC Reference 3 line-stage entered my system, my (audio) world changed.  All the music I thought I knew (and I was already using a more affordable ARC line stage), had to be listened to again.  In all the years it's been in my system, I've never had the urge to "upgrade."  The complete satisfaction continues.......
You can search but when it's over you will find bliss with the N1 from Sutherland Engineering.  Full fledged with phono as well. Underrated and rarely reviewed.  A benchmark in my opinion and many others.  You'll be hard pressed to stop smiling!

First Sound, now out of Brooklyn, N.Y.

vacuum tube, fully dual mono construction, separate power suppl(ies)

all RCA, no remote, but one very robust, excellent sounding pre amp supported by a genius gentlemen

The Schiit Freya...A remote, a 128 step relay switched very accurate attenuator, three choices of remote selectable passive, FET, or tube output through 4 6SN7GTBs, fully balanced operation, five remote selectable inputs including two balanced and three single ended, three outputs including one balanced and two single ended, and excellent low noise floor sound that I enjoy immensely. It's USA built and costs around 700 bucks, supported by geniuses who may or may not be gentlemen, but are more like curmudgeonly rebellious marketplace disturbers.