Who LOVES their under $ 1000 table combination ?

Okay.....here's the deal. I'm cuerrently driving my Rogue Audio Cronus integrated amp and Vandersteen 1C speakers with an NAD 533 turntable/Rega RB-250 arm/Goldring Elektra cartridge set-up. I was originally toying with the idea of switching to a thick acrylic platter, upgrading the sub-platter, adding shims to change VTA, and replacing the cartridge. .....Then I thought...that's all crazy. I should just buy a whole new set-up. So...what are some recommendations for table/cartridge combo. that will keep me at around $1000.00, sound considerably better than what I have now, and match well with my amp and apeakers ?
adam18

Showing 2 responses by amandarae

I bought my TD 124 for $250. Granted that I spent $60 to recondition the bearing, $30 to make a plinth, $20 to replace the armboard, $400 for a pristine SME 3009, and $150 for a Denon 103 cartridge (So that is about $910).

I will compare it head to head to any $1000 plug and play table currently available here or overseas.

My point, explore vintage tables. Rek-O-Kut, Thorens, Lenco, etc. except the Garrard 301/401 because they now command stratospheric prices!

regards
Headsnappin,

It is not really that hard to do. My TD 124 MKI (I also have an MKII) is the first vintage table I work on. Just a little perseverance is all it takes.

regards