Who is your overall favorite guitarist?

At 44 years of age, I personally feel fortunate to have lived in an era along with some of the finest guitarists who have ever lived. I have always had an overwhelming love of music. As I look back to my earlier years of music appreciation (I took formal piano training for 17 years) I remember how my instructor would suggest exposing myself to the many different styles and disciplines of music.

These were such valuable words of wisdom. Considering the fact that this suggestion, more or less, forced me to be more open to musicians other than those that played in strictly rock and roll bands.

Wow, was I surprised to find that I could be as entertained by Chet Atkins and Les Paul as I could be by Ritchie Blackmore or Carlos Santana. Just think about some of the finest from our time. Jimi Hendrix, John McLaughlin, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, Steve Howe, Al DiMeola, the list could seem almost endless. All such incredible musicians.

Although it's very hard to pick one person or style in particular, let's remember the key words, "overall favorite".
I would probably have to say that my overall favorite would have to be Steve Morse (from Dixie Dregs fame).

Who is your favorite?
128x128buscis2
Keith Richards - RULES!

He may not be the best lead guitarist, but he's the epitome of the rock guitarist.
Well, I have to put my two cents in on this one. Here is a partial list of my favorite guitarists. There is no order to the list and from all genres of music..Wes Montgomery,Pat Martino,Herb Ellis,Jim Hall,Joe Pass,Grant Green,Kenny Burrell Emily Remler,John Renbourn,Bert Jansch,Terje Rypdal,Mike Bloomfield,Sonny Landreth,Ry Cooder,Peter Green,Chris Smither,Tommy Emmanuel,Phil Keaggy,John Fahey,Richard Thompson,Ronnie Earl.... Many others as well!!
As for blues guitarists... How about Earl Hooker? He was so great and unfortunately died early of TB. Also Hubert Sumlin is not give the credit he deserves!

Andrew
1.- Mick Taylor
2.- Mick Ronson
3.- Earl Slick (David Bowie)
4.- Frank Zappa
5.- Robin Trower
6.- Pat Travers
7.- Johnny Winter
8.- Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)
9.- Peter Haycock (Climax Blues Band)
10.- Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple)
Well, you hit a couple right off the bat. Santana, for depth and mystical, even cosmic proportion(yup, I'm from the 6's). Jeff Beck had it, I don't know what happened to him, he's still playing, but I don't follow him these days. His best (IMO) were Blow by Blow, and Wired; absolutely fantastic. Jimmy Herring doing Jerry Garcia, very tasty! Steve Howe...
Best to you all,
Joeb