Who Is An Expert On Acutex Cartridges?

I am curious. What happened to the company? Did the 320 III LPM or the 320 III STR come first? I also know of a 420 STR. Where are they now?
zoltarcat

Regards, Lewm:

A vendor," PickeringUK" offered the low output cartridges some time ago, I received a XLZ-4500 and thought it wonderfully true to the recording. The third day of ownership a coincidental glance at the stylus revealed it snapped in half, the business end pointed straight down, hanging by a thread. I have no idea how it happened. Neither of us can assume the title of "The Destroyer", Conan has it claimed (woeful grin).

Acutex LPM cartridges with damaged styli occasionally show up at the "big auction site", IIRC within the 3xx & 4xx series all cartridges are the same, as in any 3xx stylus will work with the corresponding body, 4xx with 4xx bodies. During the heyday of Raul's MM thread I recollect a report of an output pin pulled off when removing the cart from a Saturn V headshell, a touch of teflon lube to the pins might be proactive. Occasionally a NOS pops up:

I've lately been listening to an AT-22, Signet TK9LCa and an AT OCC160ML rebuilt  with Soundsmith's optimized LC stylus on "ruby" cantilever. A NOS Acutex 420, after some burn in, hangs with them.

Had I seen that ebay ad, and I did do a search on "Acutex" but it strangely did not come up, I would have purchased that unit rather than sending my damaged one to SS, as I just did today. I had a worn out LPM315.  So I stuck that assembly on the tonearm adapter with the broken L channel ground connection and sent the whole shebang to SS.  I asked them to put a sapphire OCL on the 315, just as you did with your AT OCC160ML, in addition to repairing the ground connection, if they can.

Regards, Lewm:

The 320 has been listed for more than a week, I'm surprised it's still available.

I have the Soundsmith stylus for Grace F-9 as well as the OCC160. For retrieval of micro detail, rise and decay without overshoot the AT cart is superb. With bowed instruments, resonance from wrapped strings is distinct from simple tone. Bass has presence without overwhelming the upper registers. The F-9, while delightful to listen to lacks the snap and separation of the AT. I believe there are two factors (at least) contributing to the difference. The Grace generates 3.5 mV, output impedance is 1700 Ohm. The AT, 4mV / 2300 Ohm output. More significant (IMHO) is the ceramic cap the cart body is fastened to. Resonances are apparently contained to the cart itself. 

Years ago Edgar Villchur experimented with placing two small ball bearings and a section of sewing needle between cart and headshell. So to speak, tiptoes for your cart. I don't recall his exact words but he suggested the experiment was worth a listener's time. Seems terribly "fiddly" to me, never tried the application.

A while back Grado included a triangular aluminum spacer with their carts, a dimple raised in each of the three corners. No one could say exactly what it did but those who were familiar with it were pretty eager to obtain another. For several years they commanded a premium. On the Korf Blog, there is a test of the NLA AT ceramic spacer, the controlled testing it was put through found improved bass and reduced ringing:

http://korfaudio.com/blog75

The point is? On the Lenco Heaven site, the Acutex LPM315 STR was referred to as "the bass monster". I found the bass improved when the 315 was separated from the headshell with a spacer fashioned from a ten cent peice, drilled to accommodate the one-half inch mounting. Perhaps I was just bored? None the less, for a little effort and minimal expense, with the Acutex there was a positive outcome. There is noticeable ringing when mounted to either the standard Technics or a magnesium SAEC headshell, the Ortofon LH-8000 is well damped and to my taste, complements the Acutex LPM carts,  

Anyway, the B & O MMC1 is very sought after. Regrets expressed for the wounding of your carts, I'm pretty sure SoundSmith is the right choice to return them to their  glory.

Forgive me for rambling, and,

Peace, 

I'm happy to have encountered this thread, it serves as a reminder to try my Acutex cartridges again (MCR 320 STR III, and 415 STR) again.

Other aspects in the audio chain has taken precedence over the Acutex issue, but recent improvements in the system has revealed how much better my analog front end is these days, so it's about time to put the Acutex carts back in again.

I've been enjoying an AT ART-9, incredible cartridge.  

My salutations to you all,

Dan

Timel, I actually have a Grado TLZ that I used as my one and only cartridge for several years back in the 80s. I still have its factory packaging which includes that triangular, dimpled piece of plastic for separating cartridge from headshell. I remember trying to install it was more trouble than the value of it, if any. With the Acutex cartridges, if you use the Saturn V, which I am using now out of necessity because I damaged the conventional headshell adapter, you of course have no use for a spacer, or the spacer is irrelevant. I can’t tell yet whether I like the LPM320 best in a headshell or in the Saturn V. The disaster with my MMC1 prompted me to dig out an MMC20CL that I bought "used" several years ago during the MM craze. Microscopic exam of the stylus the other day shows it to be in excellent condition, so I am going to give it a go. It either came with the B&O adapter that resembles the Saturn V, or I bought that adapter separately. So, once assembled, the MM20CL in its slender adapter that fastens right up to the arm wand, resembles an Acutex cartridge in the Saturn V. Haven’t heard the MM20CL yet. Maybe by tomorrow I will have an opinion.

There has been some contretemps on this website regarding the "Cartridge Enhancer" which is a spongy spacer meant to go between cartridge and headshell. Some loved it; some hated it; some heard no difference.