Who has upgraded their Cambridge AZUR 840C CDP to the new AZUR 851C CDP?

Hi,
I really like my Cambridge AZURE 840C and am wondering what I may be missing compared to their new offering, the 851C? I use my 840C 80% of the time as a DAC, streaming TIDAL and have it connected to my Wadia 171i IPod dock. I have not had a chance to hear their new CDP, and found conflicting reviews on-line about it. Some of the negatives were a noisy transport and some frustration when selecting between three output filter options. On the good side I have only heard that "it sounds better", not a very in-depth description! So, please, if anyone out there has upgraded to the new 851C offering from the 840C, I would be very interested on your thoughts and if given the chance, would you do it again? Another thought was to just upgrade to a better DAC and use my 840C as a transport, but I would have no idea where to start with this potential upgrade path and keep within budget.
grm

Showing 1 response by itzhak1969

I bought lately the Cambridge Audio CXC cd transport which is actually the same unit as the 851C but without the inner dac and pre sections it is connected to my Macintosh pre/dac and the sound is really amazing, I think it’s better for you to buy the CXC and a standalone proper dac and to connect them with a good coax cable, I assume this will give you the best sound.