Who Has the New Top Technics SL1200GRE? Does it blow your other expensive tables away?

What high end tables have you compared it to so far? Results? 
vinny55

Showing 6 responses by stereo5

My SL1200G is vastly superior to both the VPI Prime and Scout which I had before the Technics table.  I find I spin more records with the Technics rig. 
@audiotroy............

Most of my displeasure with both VPI turntables had to do with the unipivot arm. It was way too fiddly. It was constantly having to be readjusted and it wore me down. My wife was very intimidated by the Prime and wouldn’t play any of her records. I bought the Technics after reading reviews and based on my experience of owning one which I bought new from Tech Hi Fi in the 70’s. This time around I was more concerned with the ease of use than anything else.

I was was very surprised that the new Technics beat my VPI on sound quality! I have since added the Oracle hard mat and a HRS record weight, both on the recommendation of fellow Audiogoner nkonor. As for the Rega, I had a Rega Planer 3 which was purchased from Natural Sound and never liked it. At the time of ownership, I felt my digital sounded better. I believe I had a Linn K9 Cartridge On it and later a Blue Point Special. The build quality was poor compared to the VPI HW19 MK III that I bought to replace it   The Technics table I have now is the last table I will own. Actually, the current configuration of my main system is done as well. After 50 years of buying and selling, I am satisfied.
I ordered mine from Adirondack Audio in Queensbury, NY.  They are both an Oracle and Technics dealer.  The price was $195.00 plus shipping and sales tax. Received it within 10 days of ordering. 
We were treated very well, the owner and salesman thanked us over and over and gave us some excellent recommendations on where to have lunch.  As we were leaving, the owner and salesman plus the bookkeeper and another associate all came outside to thank us again and wish us a safe trip home.  Audio Classics in Vestal, NY is the only other store I will deal with.  They treat you just as well as Adirondack Audio, and it is worth my time to travel there.
@upstateaudio.........

they certainly are nice people and the store has some excellent equipment lines.  It was 7 hours round trip for my wife and I but so worth the trip.  
I am thinking of getting a Dynavector 20X2L to use on my SL1200G as my main cartridge.  I will keep my ZU cartridge mounted on the Technics headshell as a spare.  I want to get a better headshell than what comes with the Technics and want to keep it under 100.00.  Suggestions?  Worth it?