Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
I recently sold my 2170 after buying inefficient speakers and already miss it. It is everything Kdude66 and Grannyring say it is and I see a 3400 in my near future. I will compare it against a complete PS Audio separates stack (Directstream/BHK Preamp/BHK250)...Probably a few months from now. The  convenience, sonics, customization, voicings, and bass management are awesome.  The things I'm most excited about in the 3400 are xlr outs and onboard streaming capability. I'm just hoping the sonic signature stays the same as the 2170. If so, the 3400 is an end game product.
After reading up on the 3400, I may be as well to stay with my 2170.
Extra features I see.
More power 2x200w at 8 ohms
Aes/ebu digital input
Built in media server.

I use my Vault2 for media , playing my ripped cds and stream Tidal.
Will not get rid of it as then would lose ability to play my ripped cds so the built in media server on the 3400 is a little redundant for me.
More power...well always nice but I do not feel the 2170 is straining in my system so....
Aes/ebu input...... Do not have anything that has that type of output.

Will wait and see others thoughts and experience with the 3400.
@uberwaltz, You are correct about the extra features, I do not read in the Lyngdorf lit anything about newer/revised/better design or sonic performance.
The one thing that interests me about the 3400 that I wish the 2170 had, is the adjustable EQ.
Not crazy about the preset ones on the 2170.

Also if anyone is interested in getting more posts about the 2170 from another thread.
go here https://www.avforums.com/threads/lyngdorf-discussion-thread.1580956/
I have not used the adjustable eq on the 2170, I just leave on neutral so that is not too important to me right now.
If the room perfect did its job correctly then there really should be no need to tweak the eq apart from personal preference
I agree with you completely however, the 2170 only has locked preset EQ settings, the 3400 has full adjustable EQ.
HiFi Heaven just quoted me a price of $7199.00 for a fully loaded 3400,they have 4 coming in within a week but no plans for a in store display demo unit for awhile.

Kenny.
Correct aniwolfe, another reason I never even bothered with that. Bit cheap, sort of like the presets you find in a cheap car radio.....lol.
I use Roon’s DSP EQ to great effect.  Love Roon with Tidal and the 2170. 
Thanks everyone, I forgot to follow this discussion so I apologize for the delays in replying.

@klh007 I ordered it with the HDMI board for my Nvidia Shield which I use for various Video related endpoints for Plex and Kodi. I didn’t bother with the premium analog board because I have no analog sources. Honestly, I could make do with a stripped down network only version that has no digital audio inputs or analog audio inputs if they made one that way since I run Roon and the Lyngdorf already supports RoonReady through the network board. The prices quoted were the same as @uberwaltz mentioned earlier.

TLDR; The Lyngdorf had better be a sonic Svengali because it has some very stiff competition.

I am currently auditioning the NAD Reference M22 Rev2 and I have a pair of Nord One-Up SE Ncore Monoblocks arriving tomorrow to compare sound quality against.

I am hopeful that the Lyngdorf competes and surpasses them all sonically (including my SET, but I am realistic in this regard), but I will say the NAD Ref M22 Rev2 is very very good, but it required some judicious manual Room EQ to get it to sound that way because initially it was busy sounding and congested in the upper midrange at louder volume levels. It’s really quite nice sounding now after my buddy Mike team viewered into my roon endpoint and we took measurements and tweaked the EQ settings in the Reaper DAW software using FabFilter ProQ2 VST plugins (I use various audio plugins to tweak the sound to my liking).

I could see myself possibly keeping the Lyngdorf just for room correction and as a Roon endpoint if it doesn’t beat the NAD or Nords or my SET in sound quality, but that’s an expensive proposition so the room correction/roon-endpoint convenience and sound quality improvement will have to outweigh any sonic differences between amplifiers in that case.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe theoretically I can bi-amp my forthcoming Ulfberhts with my current Diavolo SET tube amplifier on the top-end and the Lyngdorf on the bottom-end? I have no idea if this would be warranted, desirable, or even worth trying for possibly the best of both worlds, but I fear they might not coalesce properly. I tend to think that mixing SETs with Solid-State (even class D) would be akin to heresy in some circles and even I would say it may very well be an abortion of sonic proportions.

The versatility and simplicity of the Lyngdorf truly makes it the swiss army knife of components as @aniwolfe mentioned on the phone yesterday with me.

What’s truly amazing to me is that in the best case scenario the Lyngdorf could potentially replace my DAC, my passively cooled and dedicated ROON endpoint, my SET amp, and hopefully best the competing class D amps I am also comparing it to.

I feel kind of sorry for the Lyngdorf, it’s almost not fair to expect it to outperform everything, but unfortunately it’s going to have to pull a rabbit out of it’s hat sonically and amaze me or I’ll not likely keep it in my system. I won’t expect the SET like midrange, but it better do everything else so well that I forget about magic midranges.

@jcarcopo In another post you mentioned you would be sending the Benchmark DAC3 HGC back to Benchmark, in anticipation of the Lyngdorf 3400. Can you share why? Thanks.

Looking forward to your impressions of the 3400!
@kdude66 I can't believe myself either. I just think the new speakers will need more power as they are less efficient than the DI's, and I really want something less fiddly.  I get tired tweaking eqs, plugins, and filters and messing about.  If the Lyngdorf can nail the room correction better than me, than more power to it. I am having some trepidation about giving up my SET amp in my main system.  I am not selling it though, I may repurpose it for a 2nd system so I never go without it ever again. I made the mistake selling this amp years ago only to repurchase it at great expense to my bank account, I won't make that mistake again. I've always wanted 2 systems.  One big and one small.  Now I am covered. 
@david_ten

TLDR; Because it’s $2200 and I am within my 30 day return period and I’m hemorrhaging money like Richard Pryor in the movie "Brewster’s Millions" ;-) LOL

I’m running Roon so I’ll be using the built-in endpoint to stream music from my library directly to the DAC/AMP in the Lyngdorf. I see no advantage in doing an extra D/A conversion. It’s as pure a signal path as you’ll ever get running packeted RAAT protocol digital data over a network connection directly to the digital amp as PWM. In essence there’s not really a DAC involved in the conventional sense. This assumes I know what I am talking about, so please correct me if I am wrong. (I will however try my old DAC2 HGC fed into the Lyngdorf just for the hell of it and for the sonic comparison).
@jcarcopo 

Experiment as you wish my friend. However the beauty of the Lyngdorf is that you should not need all those extra boxes to make it better, otherwise why even get it?
@aniwolfe I agree 100%, If the Lyndorf does it’s job, like I am hoping, I will be getting rid of everything else. Trust me. I don’t need or want 4 amps, extra endpoint, dac, etc. I’d be ecstatic to be a minimalist. (Still Not selling my SET AMP though lol, nevaaa)
Correct, there is no advantage to doing a D/A conversion outside the Lyngdorf. We 2170 owners sold our expensive and well regarded dacs. Again, the synergy, simplicity, sound quality and short signal paths of the 2170 have eliminated the need for an outboard dac.

Lyngdorf will need the following to sound its best;

- let it burn in for at least 200 hours before any decision making critical listening
- needs a good power cord and conditioner
- leave it fully on. It sounds much better after being on 12 hours. Leave it on, not in standby. 
Totally agree with Grannyring.
I use Corepowertech equicore 1800 and one of their cpt power cords.
No separate wall socket for amp needed with the equicore 1800.
Not really noticed much sonic change from new tbh but plan to redo the mike measurement after about 500 hours or so just in case.
Another good dealer for Lyngdorf and other good gear is Neal at Sound Science. I purchased my 2170 from Neal. Great service. I also purchased my computer/server from Neal. 
http://soundsciencecat.com

Hi Every One,

Neal here from Sound Science, I have been selling Lyngdorf for nearly 16 years now, I have moved to Taos NM and opened a brick and mortar store there.  I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

my email is [email protected]
This  Lyngdorf 2170 sounds very interesting. I'm currently in the market for new amps, this may just fit the bill and save a lot of money. Can anyone tell me if it has a theater bypass input as my 2-channel rig and surround system share with the theater bypass input on my krell evo 202 preamp. Anyone looking to upgrade to the 3400 , I just may be interested in buying your 2170.

@grannyring I wouldn't run it 24/7, those LPF caps won't survive for ever, no reason to run it 24/7, it's not tube or class A amp to heat up and stabilize components to perform optimally

@jcarcopo I had Nords previously coupled with dual differential sabre DAC and sold it once I heard Lyngdorf so I would be surprised if you find it better sounding (perfect match is the key), unless Colin change something significant in his amps in the last year or so to perform significantly better

@ron1264 any of its inputs can be turned into HT bypass mode so no problem...

in terms of filtering/conditioning, it has surge and EMI/RFI filter built in including regulated power supply so unless someone's living under broadcasting radio station or any other heavy gain RF antenna I don't see a reason filtering it any further and even than one would have to live in bunker 2 floors underground to eliminate potential interferences... Lyngdorf is nice example of how the filtering and isolation supposed to be done properly in audio electronics... 

ron1264,
Yes any input looks like they could used as ht bypass,I don’t have a ht so never tried it.I won’t be selling my 2170 after I buy a 3400,I will keep it for a 2nd system.That’s how much I like them.
Here’s a link to the manual,

http://lyngdorf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/tdai-2170-owners-manual_v17.pdf

Kenny.

@kuky - I don’t know when Colin switched to Rev C of the input buffer stage on the OneUp SE Monos. I went ahead and purchased both the Sonic Imagery and Sparkos input buffer modules so I can roll between them and decide whether I prefer the dynamic/neutral presentation of the Sonic Imagery modules vs the warmer richer presentation of the Sparkos modules. I think the Nords will have enough on their plate just keeping up with the NAD M22 Rev2 ncore amplifier which is very impressive sounding after applying room eq manually in software, much less compete with the Lyngdorf, which hopefully is superior in the room eq department and hopefully in their dac/amp implementation. The Nords are arriving today so it should be a fun weekend comparing them to the NAD.
I’m like Grannyring and I leave mine all the time,offcourse we use it all day and evening.I’ve proved it many a time when I’ve had it off in my own system or when I’ve taken to other people’s houses and tried it in their systems.It’s not that it sounds bad by any means but it’s not going to be at it’s best either.Needs to be on around 12 hrs to be really stabilized,nature of it’s pwr supply.

I’m not worried one bit about the little Wilma LPF caps,they are cheap and last very long time anyhow.And besides when I do get a 3400 in a few months,I will be changing the caps like Grannyring did,and some other mods as well.
He has told me personally how much a profound difference the change will make,and I know from firsthand experience changing the low pass filter caps on the ncore amps that I had several yrs ago.

Kenny.
Actually the caps will likely last longer as the temperature never gets above slightly kind of warm .Great environment for caps. Also, the off/on cycling is most likely more harmful and stressful for the caps. High heat in Class A amps rob caps of life. 
I agree,I didn’t think in those terms,I don’t think about class a topologies anymore since I have this cool running one box wonder.

Kenny.
What’s the dB range of the customizable eq?
Can Tidal be streamed?
What is the analog output voltage?
@unsound You can stream Tidal through the built-in Roon Ready endpoint. Tidal integrates very tightly into Roon. You have to decide if you wish to pay monthly or $500 upfront for Roon though. I don’t know the specifics on the eq because I haven’t found a pdf manual on the 3400 listed on their  website yet.

Post removed 
Post removed 
Repost - I was curious about subwoofer setup with the 2170.

I have a 2170 arriving tomorrow (going to give it a second chance), and will eventually be pairing it with some Atohm GT1 bookshelf speakers and either a REL or SVS subwoofer.

My question - does the Room Perfect setup set the crossover -high pass/low pass after you do the testing, or do you setup your crossover preference first, and then run Room Perfect?

I will re-read the manual, but would like to hear some suggestions/thoughts in the meantime..
You can do it either way,I basically like to setup everything,subs,speaker position optimized and everything else dialed in and run rp last.I do believe I get the least amount of correction for a given room knowledge %.

I hope this helps you,if you have more questions just ask either here or via a pm.

Good luck,
Kenny.
@kdude66 

Thanks!  I did read in the manual that changing the output for the speakers/and or subwoofer will erase any previous RP measurements. 

Guess you have to do that first, then run RP.
I'd like to thank @kdude66  and @grannyring  for their recommendation of the Lyngdorf 2170.  I have been following the Tekton DI thread for a long time, and it was there that I was convinced I needed to give one a try.  Needless to say, I have sold off my amp, preamp, DAC, and various cables/power cords and am extremely happy with the 2170 (and pocketed a decent chunk of change as well, which the wife will put to good use!).  RP is the real deal (I was a total skeptic).  It is so effective at integrating a sub into the system that I now run my sub all the time (don't really need it with my mains, but seamless integration).

I have mine integrated into my home theater, and it works flawlessly.  Any analog input can be set up as the bypass input, and it also has a 12v trigger input -- makes it easy for my wife to watch movies -- push one button on the HT receiver and everything is up and running.  I found the best results with setting the xover for the sub myself in the 2170 and then running RP.  I would also add that using the 2170 all the way through is the way to go.  I tried it with external DACs and amps, and always came back to the 2170 alone.  And as has also been mentioned here, the volume control is awesome.  I have extremely efficient speakers, and have always been forced to run preamps at very low, non-optimal settings.  Wish I had the guts to do grannyrings upgrade -- don't think I am good enough with precision soldering (have rebuilt some speaker xovers, but precise soldering is not necessary there).

@kdude66 , I have not yet taken the plunge to the DIs from my Zu Definitions.  Was thinking hard about it, but the Defs with the 2170 is really, really nice.  Again, thanks to all who contribute to these threads -- so informative and helpful.
Glad you tried one,only one way to find out.

I don’t have di speakers,got rid of them first of the year,I have Silverline bolero supremes and also will be getting a set of Lawrence audio double bass speakers next week.

I haven’t upgraded my 2170 either,your going to have to take the main board out of the case to be able to solder the LPF caps and you might as well upgrade the speaker output wire at the same time.
I will do mine after I get a 3400 in a few months,I won’t be selling my 2170.I’m going to keep it for my 2nd system and or backup.

Would you say that rp got rid of some of the cabinet talk that the Zu’s have by nature.I know what they sound like I used to own them.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.
Omg, I would kill for a pair of Lawrence double bass. 
Need those 6 matching numbers for that though....ah well one day.
Please let us know how they sound with either Lyngdorf!
Lyngdorf arrived today, and I’ve been listening for the past few hours. Quite frankly..I’m amazed. I’m convinced the first time I had one, my other components weren’t a good match, because right now everything sounds so so good.

I knew digital was going to be top notch, and it is, but vinyl playback now is much better than my memory had me believe. Not only is it much better, it’s fantastic! None of that warm vinyl sound is gone, detail/clarity has improved, and I forgot how dead-quiet this amp is..

Happy camper here.

I do have one question for all owners -- the firmware on my 2170 is not up to date. I have two thumb drives, with the most up-to-date firmware loaded, but the Lyng. is not reading either of them for some reason..

I’m turning off the 2170 on the back power switch next to the power cable, inserting the thumb drive, holding down the standby button and then turning back on the power switch. Nothing happening. Manual says the front panel should read "Updating" and that’s when you should release the standby button...

Maybe I’m not reading the instructions properly or I need a new thumb drive.

Robelvick

Glad it has surpassed your expectations, especially on vinyl, as u say possibly a mismatch previously, it happens.
As far as updating, sounds like you are going through the steps correctly, with one exception maybe.
Just one question, you are putting the thumb drive in the slot marked sw update?
And I think you have to insert it BEFORE you first power it off not after wards.
Mine updated first try, using a pretty old drive so I doubt it is your drives.

Try it again inserting before you power off .
Yes, it is in the SW slot, and I tried inserting it before powering off.

Still no luck.  Re-reading the manual, it explains to load the software on to the Lyngdorf USB (provided) which I dont have.  My first Lyngdorf didn't come with a USB driver either...

Interesting.
If mine came with a Lyngdorf usb driver I did not see it and certainly did not use it.
Pretty old 1g drive I had lying around in the computer desk drawer.
Not really sure what might be going on with that.
I updated my 2170 to the latest firmware,135a,but I don’t recall exactly how I accomplished this.It’s been several months,I just keep messing with it till it finally did load up.
I believe the latest firmware mostly just added some new voicings,which are the preset equalizer settings,which I don’t use anyway.

With my dedicated computer which is the main piece in my digital front end,I don’t use Lyngdorf’s usb software plugin,I have no need for it because I’m networked with Ethernet until the last step and I use the Sotm ultra 200 renderer,which converts and reclocks into a Usb format and then connects to my Lyngdorf via usb cable.

I’m glad to read that it’s working out for you.

Kenny.
@robelvick 

Make sue that the Lyngdorf firmware files are the only files on the USB drive.  That worked the first time for me.

Nick
Nick,

I will double check to make sure nothing else in on the USB stick. 

I believe I put the entire folder on the USB,  including the readme. doc.  

Is that the proper way??
Figured it out.  Uploading the entire folder was the problem.  I took out the readme.doc and it worked first try.