Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
I use my 2170 with Roon. Loving it for several years now. I use a USB optimized computer server powerful enough to use Roon’s DSP processing if I choose to. No need to spend the money required for the 3400 in my estimation if your speakers don’t require the added power. I don’t think the 3400 sounds any better and frankly wonder if the 2170 may be a tad more organic sounding. Often times more power with the same overall design parameters does not equal better sound if your speakers don’t demand it.

I tried out the newer, more powerful Lyngdorf 2400 amp which is pretty much the same power rating as the 3400 and preferred the sound of my 2170 on its own. It was a tad more musical and rich in the mids. Sure the 2400 has more authority at higher volumes with my 88db speakers, but I liked the 2170 better overall.

I am saying you you can have great sounding Tidal streaming with Roon using your 2170. Great sounding. If you have any DIY skills you can build your own Roon Nucleus server as they offer a kit with a Nuc as the foundation. You can build one well under $1000. Also so many other options.

While there is much debate on which method sounds best USB vs others, I have had stellar results with USB.  You need to use a USB optimized server with a nice USB card from SOTM or Pink Faun. The addition of the Ifi usb 3 reclocker/filter makes for wonderful sounding Tidal streaming with Roon. 

+1 on what Grannyring said above. I have a DIY HT Computer with an external linear PS and SOTM USB output card. That feeds an iFI Micro iUSB3 and then to the 2170. I have Windows 10 customized for Audio and use Roon/Tidal and a SS Drive for my FLAC files ripped with dbpoweramp. It took a LOT of experimentation to come to that signal path including much more expensive devices than I finally settled on. My wife and my daughter, both with super human hearing, often threaten me if I start talking about changing anything again.

The 3400’s integration with Roon/TIDAL and Spotify Connect over ethernet is seamless. It allows you from standby, or any current input, to cue and play a song from the Roon/Tidal app or the Spotify app from your phone or tablet and the Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 will switch automatically to appropriate input automatically. Track forward, track back, pause/play, and volume control from either the physical Bluetooth remote and the aforementioned phone or tablet apps is a nice touch. My Roon dedicated server uses a dedicated fanless quad-core computer made by www.AtlastSolutions.com out of the UK. It sports an 512gb nvme ssd, 32gb ram, i7 quad-core intel processor, and I added a 4tb ssb for my music library. I installed a $400 dedicated JCAT femto based USB card to connect it to the Lyngdorf directly just to play music or media from sources other than Roon or Spotify since the 3400 handles them natively. I power both the USB card and the fanless media server that runs absolutely silent with a dedicated linear power supply made by HDPLEX.COM.

Personally, I find the sound from 3400 is exemplary in all respects. So much so that I rarely switch to my 300B tube amps anymore. It’s simply that good. I’m completely smitten by Lyngdorf’s implementation of Class D. It’s not something I come to grips with easily having been so used to the tube sound of SET amplifiers for so many years. It’s not identical to a SET in the midrange, but it’s utterly neutral and very emotionally engaging. With Room Perfect on the improved sonics for me surpass an entire system upgrade.
Agreed! The Lyngdorf units when properly and patiently implemented are just flat out satisfying. I never think about amps, preamps, or dacs anymore! 
I am also using the 400 watt HDPLEX external LPS with my HTPC rig. I am also using separate LP supplies to power the internal SOTM USB card and the iFI Micro USB that were recommended by and upgraded for me by Grannyring. Power supplies DO make a difference.