Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

@grannyring I wouldn't run it 24/7, those LPF caps won't survive for ever, no reason to run it 24/7, it's not tube or class A amp to heat up and stabilize components to perform optimally

@jcarcopo I had Nords previously coupled with dual differential sabre DAC and sold it once I heard Lyngdorf so I would be surprised if you find it better sounding (perfect match is the key), unless Colin change something significant in his amps in the last year or so to perform significantly better

@ron1264 any of its inputs can be turned into HT bypass mode so no problem...

in terms of filtering/conditioning, it has surge and EMI/RFI filter built in including regulated power supply so unless someone's living under broadcasting radio station or any other heavy gain RF antenna I don't see a reason filtering it any further and even than one would have to live in bunker 2 floors underground to eliminate potential interferences... Lyngdorf is nice example of how the filtering and isolation supposed to be done properly in audio electronics... 

ron1264,
Yes any input looks like they could used as ht bypass,I don’t have a ht so never tried it.I won’t be selling my 2170 after I buy a 3400,I will keep it for a 2nd system.That’s how much I like them.
Here’s a link to the manual,

http://lyngdorf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/tdai-2170-owners-manual_v17.pdf

Kenny.

@kuky - I don’t know when Colin switched to Rev C of the input buffer stage on the OneUp SE Monos. I went ahead and purchased both the Sonic Imagery and Sparkos input buffer modules so I can roll between them and decide whether I prefer the dynamic/neutral presentation of the Sonic Imagery modules vs the warmer richer presentation of the Sparkos modules. I think the Nords will have enough on their plate just keeping up with the NAD M22 Rev2 ncore amplifier which is very impressive sounding after applying room eq manually in software, much less compete with the Lyngdorf, which hopefully is superior in the room eq department and hopefully in their dac/amp implementation. The Nords are arriving today so it should be a fun weekend comparing them to the NAD.
I’m like Grannyring and I leave mine all the time,offcourse we use it all day and evening.I’ve proved it many a time when I’ve had it off in my own system or when I’ve taken to other people’s houses and tried it in their systems.It’s not that it sounds bad by any means but it’s not going to be at it’s best either.Needs to be on around 12 hrs to be really stabilized,nature of it’s pwr supply.

I’m not worried one bit about the little Wilma LPF caps,they are cheap and last very long time anyhow.And besides when I do get a 3400 in a few months,I will be changing the caps like Grannyring did,and some other mods as well.
He has told me personally how much a profound difference the change will make,and I know from firsthand experience changing the low pass filter caps on the ncore amps that I had several yrs ago.

Kenny.
Actually the caps will likely last longer as the temperature never gets above slightly kind of warm .Great environment for caps. Also, the off/on cycling is most likely more harmful and stressful for the caps. High heat in Class A amps rob caps of life.