Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 9 responses by shkong78

@ essrand

Congratulation on getting Lyngdorf 3400!

I will appreciate very much if you could compare the sound of it with DAC you have.

Recently, the price of good Dac is going up without bound.

Thus 6500$ is not much if it can compete with high quality Dac.

Thomas
Thanks
jcarcopo , waltersalas and cal3713 for useful information.

I am happy with my Lansche Audio 4.1 speakers for 11 years now so it is very unlikely that I change my speakers.

I also had done room correction using Accuphase DG 28 for 15 years at 4 different houses, probably longer than anybody here.

So I fully appreciate the effect of room correction.

I had been happily using EMMLab Dac2 for 8 years which was one of the top Dac when I got it.

It may be time to upgrade it with recent barrage of good Dacs and progress of digital technology.

But I may go into simplifying system using 3400 forgoing lot of cables.

I had amassed more than 20 cables in my library just in case( cables are dependent your system and personal taste)

I may keep LM 508 even after getting 3400 so that I can feel mid range magic using pre out of 3400.

But I am more curious whether DAC section of 3400 is better than EMMLab Dac2.

Also I would like to compare room correction between 3400 and Accuphase DG 28.

I wish to get a chance for home audition of 3400 in my system to find out the answer to my questions.

Ultimately most important thing is whether I will be happy in terms of musical satisfaction with 3400 in my system.

Thomas
Hello

I am also intrigued by Lyngdorf.

My speaker Lansche 4.1 is pretty sensitive(99db/w spec, but real no may be 94db/w) with two actively driven 10 inch driver.

Rogue Cronus Magnum II with 100 power can drive my speakers loud enough in my spacious listening space with high vault.

I am an old fashioned guy playing just CD, so the connectivity using USB does not matter.

Is there noticeable difference in sound quality not quantity between 2170 or 3400?

I appreciate your kind response.

Thomas
I also found out that 2170 is sensitive to digital cable upstream.

https://www.mcssl.com/store/silnoteaudio/morpheus-reference-ii-series-ii-rca-digital-cable

I have good result using above 195$ cable to connect from Jay’s Cdt2 mk2 to 2170.

Mark offer 14 day’s return so if you are interested, you can try it out.

2170 had given good sound with Vaughn Cabernet Speaker for the last 10 days.

I will switch back to my main speaker Lansche 4.1 to find out.

About 2 weeks ago 2170 was too hot with Lansche 4.1.

But with change of digital cable, it could be better.

Have nice Thanksgiving!

@ essrand

Lyngdorf 2170 got tamed enough to drive my main speaker Lansche 4.1.

But it is a long story with lot of updates.

I will post it when I have more time to write.
Lyngdorf need more than 300 hrs for full break in

They are also sensitive to power

You may need good power conditioner and cables.

Somehow Perfect Path Technologies E-mat and E-card also help to make it sound less lean.

You also need good front digital cable.

Silnote digital cable also helped.

But in the end, it is possible that you may not warm  up to the sound of Lyngdorf even though it did nothing wrong if you are tube guy.

I have decided to use Lyngdorf 2170 as Dac and Pre only or to play very loud rock music.

I can not open my heart to sound of my main speaker driven by Lyngdorf 2170 although it does not sound hot or lean any longer.

After all it is dependent on system and personal taste.

My Line Magnetic 508 SET amplifier after tube rolling with Nos has magical mid range and enough dynamics to drive my Lansche 4.1 speaker.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/the-most-musical-sound-in-my-40-year-s-audio-history

Update on 2170.

For some music, I prefer the sound of 2170 to LM SET 508.

So I now take turns of amplifiers  depending on music

2170 seems to be more transparent with little bit more details.

LM 508 has more warmth and body.

2170 seems to be sensitive to digital cable and front source.

@ jcarcopo

I can play my Lansche 4.1 speaker loud enough headroom with both 2170 and 48watt SET.

My speaker is 99dbw spec(but I guess real efficiency is around 95db) and its two 10 inch woofer driven by  internal 500W  amplifiers.

The volume of 2170 could be around -20 with enough loudness in my spacious listening room.

I prefer 2170 to SET in playing progressive rock by Queen with more transparent sound and sharper focus.

But I prefer my SET to 2170  with Jazz vocal and classical music.

By the way I am also inclined to try out 3400 not for more power but with more presets and options of room correction like pre adjusted curve.

Will 3400 be also better than 2170 in SQ not just power?

When I visited Korea early this month, I had auditioned Totaldac(12K$) and MSB Select Dac(90k$ crazy price).

Both sounds good but I am not ready to spend that much money on Dac.

When I compared between 2170 and EMMLab Dac2 that I had paid 9k$ 8 years ago, they are comparable to each other.

Thomas
@happajoe

I had connected "pre out" of 2170 to Silbatone 300B amp (20K$ premier one with silver foil output transformer")with good result.

I compared Dac of 2170 with EmmLab Dac2.

They are comparable with each other in soundstage and dynamics, while 2170 give slightly relaxed sound.

Thomas