Who Do You Credit For Getting You Into This Hobby?

I didn't know which forum to post this in so I hope it's alright to have done so in "Speakers".

When you look back over this obsessive hobby of ours, who do you give credit for helping you take the plunge? I am extremely grateful to Albert Porter and John Fort, who were salesmen at Arnold and Morgan (Dallas) in the mid-to-late 70s (I believe Albert might actually have been the sales manager), and spent a lot of time with me to assist in finding the best system for my tastes and budget. They also treated me the same as their male customers, and never made me feel like the minority (female) that I was in this particular hobby. Their love of the hobby was infectious, and I quickly became enamored with the quest for getting the sound right. That first small system was comprised of a middle-of-the line Yamaha receiver (1977), Yamaha speakers, and a Dual turntable. I still own the Dual turntable and have kept it for its sentimental value. It is currently not in use although it is still operational almost 30 years later.

So, thank you, Albert Porter and John Fort, for taking the time to help me all those years ago. It's also evident here at Audiogon that Albert continues to help all of us as we pursue this endeavor, a few of us much older than when we originally began the journey.

--Mary
mcrheist
A gentleman named Brian. He was a salesman at Sound World in Pocatello, Idaho 33 years ago. He was patient and informative. He let a 13 yr old kid play whatever he wanted and taught me what I should be listening for. I don't remember his last name which is either fortunate or unfortunate depending on whether I'm in the mood to thank him or curse him....no seriously he was instrumental in my forming an interest in this hobby. Music has always been my first love and as I am a social worker I have a very modest system but oh how I enjoy it.
Mary, You're right on about Albert. While I've never met him, he has been a tremendous help to lots of us. Like Boa2, I've played instruments (guitar, bass guitar, clarinet, saxophone) since the age of seven, so the music came first. I wasnt aware of high end audio until I happened to pick up a copy of Stereophile in 1986, and soon was perusing Absolute Sound, Sounds Like..., and others, thus starting on my journey to my present system. I had a female friend (she's since moved away) who I took with me and my wife when we were getting some new equipment back in the late eighties, and between us and John at Sight and Sound in Morristown NJ (now defunct), that got her started on her path to audio nirvana ( I was going to say "audio zen" but too many companies these days are using that word).
When I my parents took me to see "This is Cinerama" in the 50's. http://www.mtsu.edu/~smpte/fifties.html
To me, it is not a hobby. I watch TV sometimes, I listen to music sometimes.
The guys in the "white van" selling those crummy scam speakers. I bought a pair in college and spent the next 10 years trying to improve their sound - re-inforced the cabinets, changed the drivers, added cross bracing, even found a pair of heil AMTs to add. Eventualy I picked up Stereophile and said - the heck with it. bought a pair a SnellKIIs and dumped the white van speakers for $25 at a garage sale.
- Have to credit my dad for really getting me started - back inthe early 70's he had a nice teac reel to reel, Crown separates, various JBL speakers - and eventually magnepans. Ever since I've been stubbornly glued to the "sweet spot".
D_Edwards or Cinematic_Systems or "The Audio Fascist"

His only requirement was that I be willing to think "against the grain" and be willing to come to my own conclusions based on first hand knowledge and applicable experiences.

Guess thats why I'm in such isolation all by myself when it comes to audio. :)