Who are GenX'ers music icons?

I was thinking about this the other day and who are GenX'ers music icons of their generation? Like who really had a massive impact in music that were from their generation? 

GenX'ers didn't exist in the 60s (they missed out on many acts then). GenX'ers weren't the age demographic for music of the 70s and the average GenX'er born from 67 and later missed out on the 70s youth culture. 

So my question is this. Who are GenX'ers music icons? Because I don't think there's many they have had 
michaelsherry59
@michaelsherry59 Let me guess, you likely have not heard of most of those above mentioned bands and musicians. Listening to Classic Rock radio can do that. It also leads to the death of Rock music.
When I was listening to classic rock radio in high school, Hendrix, The Who, Creedence, etc songs were about 20 years old.  Nirvana's Nevermind is 30 years old this year!
Though not my favorites the X icons are the grunge bands. Nirvana sort of defines the whole movement, plus Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, etc. That being said REM defined the whole college band thing and are hugely influential and one of my favorites from the 80s.

In addition to every band mentioned by djspinner above, Tool, Beck, New Order/joy Division, Smiths, Bob Mould, Depeche Mode, Metallica, Echo and the Bunnymen are but a fraction of the iconic X bands I enjoyed and still do. Talking Heads, cowboy junkies too. Probably more than most I listed I enjoyed Pink Floyd though definitely not an X band. Goodness, I’m getting hit with a wave of memories.