Who actually uses digital speakers?

Of course, @atmasphere is about to jump in and say "no such thing as... "  so before he jumps into the fray, what I mean is, who uses active speakers with digital inputs?

The biggest brand I know of who invested in this in a big way was Meridian which I believe had not just S/PDIF but a custom digital interface as well.  With the advent of plate amps with S/PDIF inputs standard I'm wondering how many audiophiles have made the jump to active speakers using the digital inputs?

What are you using and what is your experience like?

erik_squires

Speaking for myself, powered speakers take too many options away. No choice of amps, preamps or other gear. Great for the studio where the install is easy. 

While there are certainly a few out there, I suspect not many "audiophiles" use active speakers.  One of the most important and enjoyable aspects of this hobby for people who call themselves audiophiles is the mixing and matching of various components and experimenting with new gear.  A thread or two before I read this one (in a different section) there was some fellow who listed all of the DACs he'd owned. I didn't count, but it was somewhere around a dozen over the past few years.  Take away those choices and you've just deprived that individual of a substantial portion of the joy they experience.  Boys love new toys, and the only thing that happens when they grow up is the toys get more expensive. 

To me that’s the point is taking away all the options. You get an optimal match of amp with the speakers and no power sucking distortion creating physical crossover.   I’m wanting my next speaks to be active or at least run them active with no crossover with DSP and good matched external amps. 

A buddy of mine has Focal Utopia component set in his car (as do I). He went active bypassing the physical crossover with DSP and the improvement was pretty amazing. 

Post removed