Which Zu for you

After attending the Newport audio show and hearing the Druid V I decided that my next set of speakers would be some Zu's. Unfortunately, the Druid are way above my price point. I am interested in hearing from people who have heard the soul superfly and omen def mkii and why they preferred one or the other. Also, if they have heard a budget integrated amps that paired well those suggestions would also be welcomed. I have already received some great advice from Sean and 213cobra who suggested the Almarro a205 or marantz 2215/20/30 as budget options. 
128x128jkontuly

Showing 3 responses by gsm18439

Sean and Phil (213cobra) always give sound advice - including selection among the range of Zu speakers. Zu speakers are designed not only at different price points, but for different listening conditions and environments. 

Zu speakers vary in impedance. Def 4s are nominally 8 ohms, Druid Vs are 16 ohms, Def 4s can be custom wired 32 ohms, etc. Check-out ZuAudio.com. Tube amplifiers prefer high impedance - in some cases (ie., OTL) the higher the better (ie., 32 ohms).
Robert

"I'll say that they do require a lot of break-in- or maybe I don't listen enough or loud enough:) Really it took about 6 months to a year but that was also swaps of components, cables etc as thing got better and better. So not exactly break in but more dial-in. That's probably normal and reflects my learning curve."

"Break-in" is the correct term. Most FRD (full range drivers) take a lot of break-in. . . more than what happens in the factory. It gets even longer if they are shipped in cold weather. Mine continued to evolve for almost a year without any tweaking in terms of cables, positioning, etc.