Which would you choose; Pass 250.8, arc 75SE or luxman m900u?

Current amp great soundstage but not exciting.
roxy1927

Showing 6 responses by trudat

IMO Luxmans are a "delicate" sounding amp.  Not bad, tons of detail, fantastic for female vocals, won't hurt you.  

Don't have much experience with ARC other than a few in-store demo's.  I find them to have more ooomph than a typical tube amp.

The Pass, Very good bass, excellent midrange a bit on the thicker, more musical side.  Has the top end, but not as airy as the Luxman, and doesn't have that last bit of sparkle.

For my money, Pass if those are your three choices.  Will hold it's resale best also, especially if you pick up a used or demo.

What speakers?  What music?
Considered the 6’s for quite a while. Frankly I felt the midrange was recessed (and one reason I personally think Pass would pair nicely with them). But just my opinion.

I own Pass among others.

Yes, I’m aware you carry Parasound and rumor has it Krell might be a new line for you.  Is Anthem one of yours?  How about Paradigm, how are those new Persona speakers...I hear they are the cats meow. You know, if you want something hyperdetailed bright and sterile... though hey maybe a warmer amp might work with those?  

Yes, I read TJ’s review. TJ does a nice job. Coda makes a good amp, frankly similar to Pass in many ways, which makes sense as they have the same "tree" from which they came. Now, I could be wrong (and it wouldn’t be the first time). I think they both use the same toshiba transistors.

I like Doug at Coda, I’ve talked to him many times and owned a Coda amp for a while. Very nice unit. Unfortunately, and this is in the eye of the beholder I think that amp is butt ugly. Doesn’t mean a bit regarding sound. I like meters, I like black, I’ve liked CODA’s look before. Just my opinion it’s freaking butt ugly. I’m sure it sounds very nice, Doug builds a very nice amp.

As for me not having a grasp, well I’m pretty confident that I do have a grasp on companies, my own ears, and what your intentions are in 95% of your posts. It’s your right to promote your business, suppose it’s my right to be annoyed at how you go about doing it.

Then again, maybe I’ve lost my grasp...
Troy,

I started by simply responding to the OP's question.  Gave my opinions on 3 amps he asked about.

You on the other hand, changed the topic, and sure you talked about a used amp that allowed you to pump up T+A gear.  Made sure to take a shot at Pass labs, something you don't sell.

Come on, pretty transparent what you were doing.  Maybe the OP should find a bargain basement Krell that can be sent in for the XD upgrade and save $1000's over a new one?

Or, why not a pair of JC1's that can be found used all the time?

Not real hard to go find posts by you where you shift an OP's question to talk about something you sell.  

Shocking a post from audiotroy where what he sells is better,  and Pass is "too warm".

While I could care less if you buy Pass, not sure where this "too warm" thing comes from?  It's not like Pass sounds like conrad johnson, old school McIntosh etc.

In fact, it's almost impossible to find an even luke "warm" review of the new Pass .8 series.  (Ok, hard to find many bad reviews by publications anyways, but I digress)

It's not a old school Krell with lows and highs peaked, but it sure seems like many MFG, including Krell with their new "XD" upgrade are trying to do exactly what Pass does - excellent midrange.

Oh yeah, and his post comes off as straight up promotion.

I wonder what a dealer that sells both Luxman and T+A would say? That’s right, very few dealers come in here and straight up promote constantly.
Troy,

It’s clear you have decided that the pro’s of continuing to do what you do, blatantly changing/steering posts, or posting thinly veiled "questions" to push your wares is a good business decision for you. It very well may be. Lord knows I’m not the first, nor will be the last to be annoyed by it, or call you out on it. Your business, your decision.

Might go over a little better if you sponsored ads on here, maybe pay and post some ads for your products, offer some "agon" users specials etc. Maybe you have, I’ve not seen them.   If you have, I apologize, my bad.  I've lurked for years but rarely post.

As for this particular thread. I tried to stick to the OP’s question. They asked about 3 amps, I gave my thoughts. You did not. Sure, you suggested a used amp, but of all the used amps it just so happened to be one you sold and could post a mini-ad. Call it what you will, that is what is was.

I’ve heard the Dali’s multiple times. I consider them to have a bit of a "smile" house sound on them, which I feel has a recessed midrange. You may not. I feel that Pass labs more than the other two amps would help liven up the speakers that were described as unexciting...

I tried to answer the question directly. Suppose I could have asked about the room? Overdamped? Maybe. But the bottom line is that yes, the Dali’s IMO are a bit tough to liven up.

Ironically, Pass would not have been my first choice either, but it was the best of the options posted.

Additionally, I’ve heard T+A (on tektons among others) and yes it’s possible it might be a nice option. That said, the tekton speakers are very dynamic, fast, and super lively to start with (at least those I’ve heard the DI, the DISE, and the Ulfs and DI monitors). I have thoughts on those also, but I digress.

The problem I, and many have had is your veiled, and at times not so veiled attempts to promote constantly. Much more so than other dealers out here.

But, your business, do what you want. Many of us here are experienced and have opinions we could give if we push the threads in different directions.

OP - I hope you find what you want. Many times I’ve chased components in an effort to "tune" a speaker. Short of an EQ... many times it’s just the speaker that isn’t working for you. Which sucks for anyone. So tough to buy a speaker after hours of traveling, demoing, reading, posting to get it home and simply realize it doesn’t work for you for whatever reason. I hope that isn’t your case.

@jetter

Thank you for asking who the "F" I am (saw your post before you edited that out, nice of you to stay classy, they would like you in San Diego)

I’m a long time lurker who yes, just began posting recently. As for other details, I’m a 40+ year audio enthusiast like many on here. Happen to have a bit more time these days as my kids are out of the house. So, I’ve formulated many opinions over the years on audio, I don’t think they are better or worse than anyone else.

That said, it’s pretty clear not only in this thread, but many others (that I have seen over the years) that many, but not all here are a bit tired of Troy’s self promotion and how he goes about it.

Glad he helped you out. I hope your system brings you joy.

That said, I am interested to hear how power cords, isolation products and more accessories will bring Roxy’s system more excitement.