Which would you choose; Pass 250.8, arc 75SE or luxman m900u?

Current amp great soundstage but not exciting.
roxy1927

Showing 2 responses by dep14

Like anything audio, it comes down to opinion.

As for overpriced - oh I suspect most of it is!

No question Nelson voices his amps to have a house sound.  I'm a fan, I have a 250.8.  But I try to give some context.  I want a live sound, I listen to rock, blues, reggae.  I like a big sound, I do NOT like every single cymbal to come forward.  But I do like a nice thick midrange, a very coherent sound and my bass a little "hot".  Excitement however - that I do really, really love. I will sacrifice pinpoint imaging for a "live, big sound)

I've heard Dali's, but not my cup of tea so I can not comment there. Good speaker, not for me.

I think the ARC stuff actually punches pretty well for a tube amp. I heard them pushing some DynAudio Contour 30's and they were slamming in the bass.  

Luxman - gorgeous old school stuff.  I think the tone/loudness controls on the preamps are very useful for many.

The amps - way cool looking.  Some of my favorite.  I finally heard them just this past week at a friends house.  Very nice amp, maybe a bit "airy" for my tastes.  Compared to another he had (BAT) the bass wasn't quite as deep, powerful, or punchy.  The highs were more defined and more delicate.

So, I think for the Dali's - either the ARC or Pass might help the excitement level.

(I have a Pass 250.8, XP12, and just acquired some Ohm Walsh 5000's, I really dig the combo but I'll admit its a bit different set-up than many "audiophiles" would use.).  

Or, time to demo some speakers, what amp/pre/source do you have currently Roxy?
Roxy... what's the budget?

Used OK?

By excitement?  More forward?  More impact?  More detail?

What is your source?