Which used preamp for Halo A21, under $1,000?

Right now, I have an Anthem TLP-1 pre mated to a new Parasound A21. The combo sounds good, but I suspect that the Anthem may be the limiting factor to achieving "great." Suggestions?

Preamp: Anthem TLP-1
Amp: Parasound Halo A21
Disc player: Oppo BDP-105
Turntable: Beogram 8002
Speakers: Alon II
dbxdx5

Showing 3 responses by daniel825

I used this YS audio tube preamp with my Parasound a21 and it softened up the sound just beautifully. images just float in the air. Very clean sounding preamp. You will need to change the stock tubes out.
http://www.ys-audio.com/sp+.htm
I am still using the YS Audio "Symphonies with remote model" I sold my Parasound A21 along with the Maggies a while back. I probably would not have sold the A21 but the guy who bought my Maggies wanted the amp also. I am now using the YS Audio Symphonies tube preamp with 2 rotel amps run in mono. I have bought and sold a lot of equipment in the last few years but I won't sell the YS preamp.

Regards,
Dan
At first I had the A21 paired with the Parasound P5 preamp and the Maggies. The sound was wonderful on great recordings but very harsh on less than perfect recordings. I was limited to playing about 1/4 of my CD's. Then I switched to the YS preamp and a tubed Vincent Audio CD player. it helped a lot, But still too many CD's were still to harsh. I could not tell you what preamp it compares to because I have only switched out a few preamps and most of them were SS. I can only tell you that as I am getting older I am going more torwards tubes. My new bedroom system is a tube integrated amp with a turntable with tubed phono preamp. The CD player is SS. I can now play all of my CD's.

Regards,
Dan