Which Turntable??

It is time for me to go back to vinyl.

For a turntable I am debating between a new Pro-Ject Elemental belt drive with W & F given as .14% & a used Technics SL-1800 DD with W & F given as .025% wrms.

Is this a typo or is the 1800 really that much better? Technics describes their W & F as infinitesimal.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks---r
roscoe50

Showing 4 responses by zd542

"VPI Scout looks like it is a bit high. "

Its worth it.

"By speed accuracy i assume you mean wow & flutter. What I was struck by is the big difference--- .025 comp to .15 for the Elemental. Is that because the former is DD? "

I wouldn't worry too much about that, especially if you get the Scout. It runs good stock, but at some point you're going to want to upgrade for better sound. At that point, getting a stand alone speed control would be a better option.
"Not really. They're evidently adjustable. I've read of the same thing in a couple of other reviews. The user or a tech adjusts the bearings and it's good to go.
Johnnyb53 (Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

What kind of bearings do they use?
"04-10-15: Ejr1953
I'm not a fan of analog, but stumbled upon a manufacturer who makes a laser turntable, ELP from Japan. Check them out."

I was thinking about buying one of those. It's not digital even though it uses a laser. I ended up not getting it because everyone that I spoke to that knew about it, said it won't play unless the record is absolutely perfect. It can't be scratched or dirty in any way. I guess the big deal is you don't hear any tic's or pop's. My answer to that was if you have records that perfect, you won't hear those things on a regular TT.