Which TT to keep? SP10, 124, 301, L75, B12H

I've collected these vintage turnatbles over the past year or two: Technics SP10 MKII, Thorens TD124 (MKI), Garrard 301 (oil bearing), ROK B12H, and Bogen/Lenco L75. Among them, TD124 and L75 are in nice original form, rest need rehab. My original plan was to restore, put them in high quality plinth with nice arms, etc. Apparently, like most of us, I probably have been too greedy and possessive. So, I am now forcing myself to keep just one of these. In the not-so-long-term, I will use only modest tonearms that are in my possesstion (Audio Technica ATP12, Micro Seiki MA505, Ortofon AS212, etc). So, what's your take if you were in my situation? Since the choice shall be very much taste dependent, it would be nice to refer to your own music inclination. Thanks.
zipcrack

Showing 2 responses by zipcrack

Thanks for advises so far. First off, I listen to a variety of music, mostly classical (drifting toward Bach and early music) and Jazz (love the energy and rhythm driven by clean base line). Somehow I appreciate more if I can feel/hear the music bouncing off individual instruments or vocalists.

I haven't got much LPs, yet. That's one of the reasons I haven't started anything on the project. Further, I still don't see myself to have much time taking up the project any time soon. So, here is my current thinking (which is quite fuzzy):

SP10 MKII: my main concern is the fact that there are basically no spare parts. When something's gone wrong, like motor or quatz, it's pretty much gone.

301: To me, the look is simply breathtaking. However, it seems that a modded L75 may approach and reach 301's performance. That means I should pocket the difference in $$.

TD124: Relatively common. May well sell my current position, and pick one later when really want one.

B12H: It seems to me, after comparable mods, this idler may not reach the performance of L75 and others, ultimately. On the other hand, they are so cheap, it doesn't hurt to keep it in box.

So, what I did recently (week) was: sold 301 and TD124, left L75 and B12H in boxes, and leave SP10 MKII on shelf as eye candy.
I actually had an Empire 208, unmounted, about 6~7 years ago. Acquired that along with McIntosh C22 and MR71 (but no amp!!!). Thought the 208 was so "primitive", a pathetic match to the rest and didn't know what to do with it. So, I sold it for $100 locally. For whatever reason, I still have the 98 tonearm with mounting template in original box. Maybe I can put that in use some day.

Regarding SP10, would it be a worthy project to add additional hardwood base to SH-10B3 obsidian base? In some of the DIY plinth designs, damping of motor vibration is achieved through coupling the motor to a block of metal stuck in the bottom of plinth. In existing obsidian base, the motor unit is "suspended", open to the bottom. So, removing the legs, adding a heavy hardwood base to the bottom of it, I think that helps to damp motor vibration. And the amount of work is quite reasonable. Good/bad idea? Any one tried this before?