Which sub to buy: JL Audio f113 or Velodyne DD18+?

I've narrowed down my search for my next sub to either the JL Audio Fathom f113 or the Velodyne DD18+. Which one would you recommend, and why? I would really like to hear from people who have listened to both subs.

Factors to consider:
- Mains are currently Legacy Audio Signature IIIs (rated to 20 Hz);
- My next speakers will be Legacy Audio Focus SEs (rated to 18 Hz);
- Room size is 13'x20'x9';
- Listen to 60% music & 40% movies; and
- No set budget.

Thanks in advance.
shak

Showing 1 response by bryoncunningham

Hi Shak - I've heard both. Personally I went with the F113. But I could have easily been happy with the DD18. There's no bad decision here.

Since the performance of a sub is very room dependent, it's a bit difficult for me to say exactly how the two subs differ in sound quality. Both are powerful, fast, deep, and tuneful. The F113 may be a touch faster, and the DD18 might be a touch deeper, but I could be wrong about that. If I'm right, then I would also say that the F113 might be a slightly better choice for music, while the DD18 might be a slightly better choice for movies. But others may have a different opinion.

One significant difference between the two subs is that the DD18 has an 8 band digital EQ and the F113 has only a single filter for reducing the room's primary bass mode. IMO, digital EQ is virtually essential to good sub performance, so if you don't have a plan in mind for adding digital EQ to the F113, I would go with the DD18. When I was making a decision about which to buy, I already had a digital EQ in the system, so I didn't need to choose on that basis.

Good luck.

Bryon