Which sub 200 usd DAC if using an integrated amp?

Hi! I would like to start by asking for your patience here as I am just a beginner in Hifi... but I am really willing to learn :)

I am thinking of ordering a DAC from AudioEngine named Audioengine D1. It is equipped with AKM4396, a sought after DAC chip.

However, I only have integrated amplifier. So it means the signal from my hard drive basically need to run through 2 pre amp (one from the DAC, one from the Inte Amp). Is it a bad thing and how will it affect sound quality?

Should it buy a HRT Music Streamer for 150 usd instead? It does not have volume control but it using PCM1793 D/A chip, supposedly inferior to AKM 4396.

Thank you very much for reading the post! I am really looking forward for your help!
bepositive

Showing 1 response by sfar

I'm not familiar with the Audioengine D1 other than reading about it on their site and it's not clear there whether the volume control is just for the headphone amp or affects the RCA outputs, as well. I'm sure a question to their support staff would clear that up. Even if it does control both outputs you could turn the volume control on the D1 all the way up, effectively taking it out of the signal path, and control the volume with your integrated.