Which speakers pair well for Onkyo A 9555?

Hi guys! First time poster here.

This is my first time diving around into Hi Fi pool. I am a musician and have been listening to music through my Apogee Duet through my Adam F5's and Audirvana. I decided I wanted to give HiFi a try and started my research based around the fact that a portable DAC would be nice.

When I came to my conclusion that the Herus is what I was looking after reading all of the reviews on it, I learned the with a 3.5mm to RCA interconnect that I would be able to patch it into an integrated amp or preamp/poweramp with great results. I had found a great deal on an Onkyo A 9555 and pulled the trigger after doing some research and it seemed to be a good pick.

TL;DR

Which brings me to now. The Onkyo A 9555 puts out 85w per channel @ 8 ohms and now I would like to find a good pair (open to used) for around $400 USD. I really wanted to try out a pair of the Arcaydis DM1 (great reviews) however it says it's compatible with amplifiers rated between 20 and 80w per channel. The last thing I would want to do is blow out a perfectly good pair (my first of HiFi) on some newbage. Would this be a fine match or what would be some other good recommendations for this power amp? I listen to all types of music and am looking for transparency and realism more than anything (not expecting spectacular at this price point). The seller of the Onkyo offered to sell me a pair of Apogee Centarus Slant 6's (if you are reading this, thank you again!) for a good price. Research tells me that these are good and I'm assuming paired well with the Onkyo considering they were used together. I have no experience with ribbon speakers. If they were bookshelf style speakers, I would be putting them on a pair of IsoAcoustic stands.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from this first time poster! Thank you!

-Bobby
barenas21

Showing 1 response by dave_72

Go for the Focals. I had the the Onkyo and I found it to have rolled off highs (without treble control in use,) imo.