Which speakers for a Yamaha A-S2000

Hello all -

I am undergoing an overhaul on my audio setup, and recently replaced a Yamaha CA-1000 with a (used) Yamaha A-S2000. The amp is paired with a set of (vintage) JBL L50s. I’m sure speaker technology has improved dramatically in the last 40 years, and I’m interested in entertaining something that would pair well with the new Yamaha. This system is audio-only (no movies), and is limited today to CD/streaming via a Yamaha CD-N301. I’ve picked up an Oppo BDP-105D for the SACDs and DVD/BRs I’ve managed to collect as well.

KEF R300s were recommended, and there’s a lot of talk about the KEF LS50s. But given their size, I don’t know if they’d be right for me. That may be coming from a ‘bigger is better’ bias, though. I haven’t heard them and can’t draw a conclusion one way or the other.

The budget here is maybe $900-1200/pair, used or new. The room size is about 15’x12’, with two large opening on two walls leading to other rooms. 

Music style is primarily early 70s prog/rock, so think Genesis, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, early Journey, Wishbone Ash, Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd, etc. Clarity is important to me; proper separation of sounds (not muddy sounding), punchy but not overwhelming bass. I like to be able to listen to the music as it was intended to be heard by the musician or the band, and not manipulated by cheap components.

Anyway, I appreciate any and all feedback, and understand that opinions are available all over the spectrum. If spending a little over budget is justified, that’s OK too.

Thanks in advance,
James
busterswt
The new KEF R3's seem to really like Yamaha amplification - the bottom end is respectable but they are still bookshelves though.  Definitely worth having a listen and a big step up from the LS50.
Klipsch Heresy IIIs, based on your music. They are a fun speaker. Enjoy ! MrD.
@mrdecibel  said,
"Klipsch Heresy IIIs, based on your music. They are a fun speaker. Enjoy ! MrD."

Not a bad suggestion at all.  I have been driving a pair of Klipsch RB-75s for about 4 years with a Yamaha A-S1000 and the combination is wonderful.  Tried the Yamaha with a pair of Heresy IIs and have the same opinion.  My "educated" guess says that the more refined A-S2000 with the more refined Heresy IIIs would sound at least as good or better.

Bill
Thanks for the recommendations so far, everyone. The speaker landscape is wide, so having recommendations from actual owners is great. Trying to do my research on them as they come in.

Klipsch Heresy IIIs, based on your music. They are a fun speaker. Enjoy ! MrD

From what I'm reading, they seem better suited to tube amps. Would you agree?

The new KEF R3's seem to really like Yamaha amplification - the bottom end is respectable but they are still bookshelves though.

Those are some sharp looking speakers. How would they compare to the R500/R700 (look like last generation)? Or why not the R11 for $500 more :D