Which Solid-State Preamp under $7,000.00 New?

On the following list of solid-state active preamps under $7,000 new, or under $4,500.00 used, which is overall the most utterly transparent,least colored, balanced top-to-bottom, neutral, dynamic, open, and 3-dimensional? Which passes the signal with the VERY LEAST degradation to it?
1.ARC LS3
2.AYRE K-1x.
3.HERRON AUDIO HL-1
4.KLYNE MODEL 7LX3.5
5.KRELL KRC-HR
6.PASS LABS X 1
7.PLACETTE ACTIVE
8.SIM AUDIO P-5
Thanks for your responses!
daltonlanny

Showing 4 responses by jmcgrogan2

The Ayre K-1x is probably the most neutral of this group. I, however, would much prefer the musicality of the Klyne 7LX3.5 or even the Rowland Synergy IIi mentioned above. The Ayre is the most transparent, but all your software better be up to the test. Great recordings will sound fabulous, but bad recordings will make you cry. In my experiences, most recordings are not great. I personally don't want to change my musical tastes, and listen to Audiophile Approved recordings only, to suit my equipment. I look for equipment that suits my musical tastes. The Klyne is more musical, and IMHO, sounds better on a much larger portion of recordings. As always, YMMV.
Kurt_tank,

This isn't my thread, I only responded. Yes, I said the Ayre was the most nuetral, didn't I? If that's what he's looking for that's my reco. I am using a tube preamp (BAT VK-31SE), with no noise floor issues. It has more body (you may call it coloration if you wish) that makes many average to poor quality recordings listenable. Your noise floor issues may not be from the preamp. I didn't use tube preamps for years, because of noise. However, once I addressed power conditioning and ground loop issues, there is no noise problems anymore. FWIW, I'm using two dedicated 20A lines, with a Shunyata Hydra plugged into a PS Audio high current Ultimate Outlet, which is plugged into the dedicated outlet. I've also isolated digital from analog via the two lines, each with it's own dedicated, isolated ground. A MIT Iso-LinQ on my cable line, and viola, most tube preamps are as quiet as the best SS, but with more body and warmth.

Of course this is all subject to personal tastes. If Daltonlanny or you prefer detail and information retrival, that's your choice. I'm willing to sacrifice that last ounce of detail for musical warmth. Yes, it may be coloration, but if it makes a recording more pleasureable to listen to, it's worth it. Many recordings that I listen to are not recorded with a Audiophile label, and can make me grind my teeth with a very neutral piece of equipment. That's why I prefer tubes and analog. They certainly don't measure as well as SS and digital, but they sound better, to my ears.

However, it's up to you, you pays your money, you makes your choices. That's why I added YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Regards,
John
Daltonlanny, you can throw both the Pass and the Klyne overboard for a tube preamp, hehe.