Which 'Shipping carrier provides the best overall

Now there's a question that ought to get some action. as important as it is to have a good one , or two, given the very nature of this venue in particular. For with but one exception, every deal I've personally done via Audiogon has been with the use of some carrier... and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Is there truly a carrier out there that continually provides exemptlary service. Handles goods properly, facillitates providing informaiton quickly and accurately? ..or is it always a coin toss with shipping equipment, in terms of timeliness and handling?

Having gained some experience over the past few years, both here at audiogon, and in former businesses, I think it may well be just that, a coin toss.

My very first opportunity to transact business with another member was steeped in miscomunication and poor training on the part of several FED EX emplyees and took months to regain the difference in an overcharge.

Most recently FED EX again has shown to be lacking in attention to detail and training of it's individuals, as well as access to timely shipping info updates. Frustrating at the time, but now since all turned out well, a laughable, but most memorable event.

For those who have done this 'shipping' thing quite often, I ask what is yuoor assessment of carriers in general, and have you determined a prefferance?

I feel this is certainly an area in dire need of an assessment based upon some considerable experiences, both in shipping, and in claims.

Thanks a lot. This should be most benificial to all at Audiogon...
blindjim

Showing 2 responses by jj2468

I've found Nsgarch above to be right on the money.

UPS Stores: UPS Stores charge a higher rate for shipping, especially insurance for high end items, compared to UPS online.

Packing: Heavy and expensive items, consider packing in two boxes with about 2 inches of foam peanuts between the inner and outer boxes - to absorb energy.

FedEx: I've had one claim when using Express Saver and they did not pay.
FedEX COD: I've used it three times and found it to be reliable so far.
Blindjim, a) the damage required that I replace the cd player transport, so it was not inexpensive and I thank Steve and GNSC for helping me, b) FedEx replied with a cursory form letter saying they would not pay, because there was no evidence it was their fault. It worked before I mailed it and it did not work after. However, there was no visible damage to the box, which appears to be the FedEx benchmark.

Regarding UPS: What upset me with UPS was that I telephoned them and was told they charge the same rate at the store as online. After shipping from the store with insurance, I went online to find that I could have saved about 30% or about $50 by shipping online. If they charge more for insurance at the store, I feel they should say so. If the UPS Store insurance product differs from the online one, then they should say so.

Recently, I sold an amp and the buyer asked me to put a couple of inches of foam peanuts between the inner and outer box. It was a pain to pack, but I think I may continue the practice for heavy items as I imagine it helps to have something to absorb the g-forces over miles of bouncing along in the back of a truck. Jeff