Which preamp- Pass Labs X1 vs Cary SLP2002

I'm moving 2 channel music away from my HT pre/proc, and I think I've narrowed down my preamp choices to the above, but I am unable to demo, as I am in a rural area.
Associated equipment-
Pass Labs X350 amplifier
Arcam FMJ23 CDP
Proac Response 2.5 spkrs.

I like my Pass amplification, and think there may be something to 'synergy' design from a single manufacturer (and the avail deals on the old style X1's are tempting), but I've also heard thet Proacs 'love tubes'....

Any help in decision making would be appreciated.
Thanks!
jillbailey4d10

Showing 1 response by aaronm

I would also suggest the X1 to go with the X350. Once you chose the X350, you set yourself up for an X series preamp. Its that whole "Super-Symmetric circuit topology" that sucks us in to the amplifier's mated preamps. Having gone from an X1 to an X0.2 should show my thoughts on the Pass preamps.
As all Pass customers that have ever called Pass' customer service or engineering depts say- they are the best in the audio business at taking whatever time you need on the phone and will do everything reasonable (and sometimes unreasonable) to make sure you are a happy customer.
I realize this may sound like an ad, but I think is good when we as consumers talk about the good companies instead of only bashing the companies that take their customers for granted.
Pass Labs' lack of coloration in their components and their great people are why I have so many pieces of Pass Labs equipment.